1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

having trouble learning this song, looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Nov 1, 2013.

1. this is a song my friend showed me, i had hoped to learn it and possibly join the band. I love this type of music but am finding it terribly difficult to make sense of the material. Feeling really frustrated at the moment so i thought i would seek out some advice here, or possibly words of encouragement at least!

heres a link to the song (black clouds)
    http://rhetoricsound.bandcamp.com/album/thoughts-and-perspectives-free-album

and if i did it right, the chords for said song (#5)

thanks for any positive words or help!

Attached Files:

2. Not sure this is the song in question, however, the following will go into how I would go about pulling up the chords for that song. I always look for a fake chord chart first. Not finding that I see if I can find tabs and let the tabs point me to the chords used. I found both on the following song.

I asked Google for; Guitar chords, dark clouds and got this.
    http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3030111

Armed with the fake chord sheet music I would then start pounding out roots till I got comfortable with the song. At that point I would then add additional chord tones that I thought would fit. Start with roots, then add 5's and 8's and see where that takes me. The intro could lead you to a more detailed bass line.

In my search I found lots of tabs on the song and it does seem to be in the key of D with the use of these chords; D, G, A with Bm and Em. I suspect the guitar guys would be using power chords (roots & fives) and I think a bass line of just roots will fit.

For what it is worth that's the way I would go about this.

3. thank you for the reply but the song i was referring to is in the bandcamp link, with a pdf file for the guitar chords.

Mainly I'm having trouble with the rhythm, as the bass is really tight with the drums, which are spastic. I have all of the tools I need to learn this song but its one of the hardest pieces I have attempted. To be fair the bass in the recording is really hard to hear but still....frustrating!!!

4. Understand, when that happens to me I just find another song. If I have to play it for a gig I'll do the best I can and move on to the next one. We have a good drummer and I can normally lock in with him, bummer if you have a spastic drummer.

I've got one coming up Sunday that is giving me fits, I'll do the best I can and hope we do not use it again.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Black Clouds? Hell, just pound away on any string any fret, it won't make any difference.

6. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Feb 20, 2013
    +1 For me that just sounds horrid. I've never liked any metal, and none of it is musically interesting to me. If it isn't jazz, it isn't much IMO. Lol

7. .....thanks i think