Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

having trouble on deciding what to do about a job

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 28, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    For the past month or so I've been completely down about my job. I work at UPS as a supervisor. I got promoted in October, and I thought I'd love the job and extra money, and I knew I'd have to make concessions, but I feel too much is expected of me, and I just don't think this is the right job at the right time for me. A good amount of my friends work at MCI, and have been telling me to apply up there. Its a full time job, and they start out at 10 an hour. I figure I'd be making slightly more than my part time job at UPS, with a few more hours a week. I'm pulling about 30-35 a week there.

I've been trying to weigh the pros and cons, and I've figured it out like this. Both jobs have good benefits and tuition assistance. MCI is only a 5 minute drive, as opposed to UPS, which is a 30 minute drive. MCI is also right across the interstate from my school. I'm just not sure if they'd work with my schedule. I get out of class everyday at 9:30, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard. UPS has longevity though. I know I could stick there and have a good carreer. I'm not sure on MCI, though. I'm only 19 though, so I'm not completely worried about a full-time carreer.

One thing I completely hate about UPS is that I'm expected to look completely professional. Shirt nicely tucked in, khakis, no facial hair, or piercings, and I can't have my sideburns below my ears. Anyone that knows me personally can tell you I hate being told how to look and how to dress. MCI has a free dress code, so I wouldn't worry about shaving or keeping my sideburns above my ears, and I could actually get my ears and libret pierced, like I've wanted to for the past couple years.

I'm just not too sure. Anyone else had an experience like this, or got any input?

~Patrick

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    MCI has a recent history of instability and continuing layoffs. So does the industry. UPS is more stable. Just something to consider.

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I worked at UPS for about 2 months breaking my arse then split. I know your pain cental, dreary place to work. I say you stay there a little more, save some funds, find a small house to buy with 2 or 3 buddies, grow your kush, live in comfort while you complete college, go legit & open a business with laundered money, call it a day. Hey, it's the American dream.

4. Stay at UPS...I've been there 6 years already, and thats getting up at 3am 5 days a week. Yeah its hard, but only if you let them take advantage of you. But then again your in management, so you don't have the union to help you out. Just be careful, and don't take any crap.

5. Stay with the sure bet!!!!! First it looks better on a resume than someone who's been job jumping. You are establishing senority, which will give you 1st shot at schedualing, vacation, etc. And unless you want to work at some old hippies head shop the rest of your life, get used to the strick dress codes. Even if your work place is more relaxed, you will have to stand above the crowd to advance.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Work sucks! If you want anything more than an hourly position, you will be making all kinds of consessions.

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Even if UPS is more stable, he's said he feels the job isn't for him.

What sort of work would you be doing at MCI? Is it something you enjoy, or can atleast put up with? And if they can work around your school schedule, I'd say make the jump. Worst case scenario you have to re-apply at UPS in half a year or so, if MCI goes under.

8. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Rudimentary math my friend....two of $^^^ is $^^^!

Unless your a musician or a pro baseball player...work sucks.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'd be doing TDD Relay. Basically relaying calls for deaf people. Not my passion, but I can type like a maniac, and its alot less stressful.

I wouldn't be able to reaplly at UPS. They have a no turning back policy for management employees.

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Well I don't expect any company to let you take a break, and see what other jobs are like,but they wouldn't even let you reapply and work your way up?

11. I think this thread has helped me to realize my true destiny. Deep down inside, I've always been and angry postal worker. :meh:

12. There was a thread a while back that I started about selling a shotgun and ammo to a guy in a postal uniform.:D

I say stay with the job for a while. It may not be fun, but it IS the sure bet. While I'm all for taking risks, the risk of losing income can be one that stops you in your tracks.

Or, maybe you should go for the MCI job, and just make sure that you have a back-door in case the big axe falls.

Rock on
    Eric

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    what's mci?

my mother told me i could never get or hold a proper job, so that afternoon i walked into the first store i saw and immediately got a job :D
    now all i need to do is pass my trial period on saturday.

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    xCent, since you're 19, just look at these jobs as paid training opportunities. Like most of us, the job you take at 19 isn't going to be the job you will have at 30.

So, aside from pay, commute times, benefits, stability, etc.. What does each job have to offer you that will help you with your future? Will either one give you the skills or contacts you need for the job you want to have? If you're like me when I was 19, I had no clue what I wanted to do. If that's the case then explore. You're young enough to recover from mistakes, and better to find out what you like or don't like early because it will help you define your goals, and how to reach them.

This is just the beginning of you career, so use this as a time to build a foundation. Build a foundation, for the house you want to build and live in.

Good luck

15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Wanna know what I think?

Stick with the UPS supervisor position as long as you can deal with it.

It'll look VERY good on a future resume.

16. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    I second that...no matter how depressing it might seem.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    AKA Worldcom. A giant telecom company with a history of major layoffs, corporate fraud, and legal problems.

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    :eek: RUN AWAY!!

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow. I just came back across this thread by mistake. I figure maybe I'll give an update.

Feb 25th was the my last day with UPS. I started at MCI on March 7th, and I've loved every minute of it. Very much so easier, and it is very rewarding. I've got a lot better schedule, and I've already become more comfortable with this job and I ever was at UPS.

~Patrick

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if you are waking up at 3 am to go to work, they are taking advantage of you too.

i dont know. your a supervisor at ups. i dont know if thats a big deal or anything, but if you are only 19, why not stick with it till your done with school?