having trouble on deciding what to do about a job

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 28, 2005.

1. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Interesting thread. My two cents....

Best advice I ever got career wise was from the owner of the business where I got my very first job as a teenager. His advice: find something you love and would do for free, and then figure out how to make a living from it. Truer words, IMHO, have never been spoken.

As some have noted, most folks at a young age (19 in this case) are just starting out in their working life. The job they have now will most likely not be the one they'll have at 25, 30, 35, etc. They're figuring out where they really want to go. Without trying to sound too zen about it all, most young folks find something they love within a few years of graduating from college or high school, after the military, etc., and go in that direction. Rare is it that one finds a person who knows from an early age exactly what it is they want to do.

My advice is that you figure out what you love to do more than anything else in the world, and then go find a way of making a living doing it. For some, that means working for an established company (with it's dress codes, etc.), or starting their own business, or going into business with people who share similar passions.

If I've learned anything in my 40 plus years on this earth, it's that life is too short to not like what you do. As our founding fathers noted, we all have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I think we forget about the last one (happiness) way too often. People go to college, get married, have kids, take on responsibilities, etc., and make a series of compromises which, in some cases, takes the joy out of life. If you have a passion for something, you owe it to yourself to pursue it as a means to the end of a livelihood. You'll be happier getting up and going to "work" everyday, doing something you love, rather than just going to a job, putting in your time, and collecting a paycheck. Sure, there are some that do this (and there's nothing wrong with it), but I'd rather make less money and love what I do than make 6 figures and hate to get up in the morning and go to work. As they say, you can't take it with you, and the last time I looked there isn't a U-Haul behind the hearse when they bury you.

Sometimes there are stops along the way to one's pursuit of one's passions. We sometimes have to make compromises to achieve in the long term what we cannot in the short. For most folks, this means taking a job they don't necessarily like, but will enable moving to the one they do. I think most people do this at some point in their working lives, and in this case, the UPS/MCI thing is potentially a stepping stone to a better job, profession, etc. later in the writer's life.

As for dress codes, well, get used to it. First impressions are very important, which is why established (and especially large) companies and corporations have them. Regardless of how we personally feel about earrings, nose rings, tattoos, etc., personally, the fact is most businesses don't allow them (at least not at work) because to the company, they send the wrong message (e.g., we're not serious, we're not professional, etc.). One can argue that, but the reality is what it is. We all have to conform to some dress code (unless, of course, we own our own business and can set the rules) at some point, so it's better just to suck it up for the time being until you can pursue what you love to do and set the rules yourself.

Me? I've been in government service for over 17 years. I figured out about 5-6 years ago that my passion is cooking. Why am I still in government service, one might ask, given what I've just said? Well, first, I'm married, and my wife insists I stay until 20 years to get the retirement benefits (paycheck, medical, dental, etc.), and there is merit to that (not to mention marital bliss!). The way I see it is I sacrifice in the short term to gain in the long term - the government will subsidize my pursuit of my passion upon successful completion of 20 year's service. It's a choice I've made (albeit not an easy one) to enable me to do what I really want to do for the rest of my life. Am I completely happy where I am in my government career right now? No. However, I've got less than three years to go, so I've made the decision to suck it up and finish it out in the interest of my long-term goals.

My situation is an example of what I'm saying here - do what you have to do in the short term to enable you to pursue your dreams/passions in the long term. UPS or MCI may not last forever, but will be a first step to going where you want to go. If you keep that in mind, all else will follow eventually.

Now, if I could just own or work in a restaurant where I could cook during the day, and play at night, life would be good ....!

Alan

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow. Awkward that I found this thread, again. I'm laughing a little bit. MCI turned into a complete bomb. I was not given the tuition assistance, forced to quit school for two semesters because they forced me to bid on a new schedule. So I quit there in February of 2006. On June 26, 2006, I began working with UPS once again as an unloader, my original position before supervising. I am currently attempting to go back into supervision. By now, I'm sure some people are smacking their foreheards. But I realized I had it too good before. It was the ideal job for college. They paid my tuition, I made a living wage, and I had a set work schedule. However, I am grateful for my time at MCI. It turned me on to ASL, and now I am pursuing a career as an interpeter. So all in all, things worked out like they should have.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Right on. When you are young, you are able to take chances like you did and make choices that only will affect you.

Once you get older, have a wife and kids, a mortgage, a couple car payments, a boat payment, and maybe a timeshare payment, you won't be able to freely make choices about employment like you did.

-Mike

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005

I am currently having a mid life / career crisis.

I applied for other jobs and it really boosted my confidence when they started calling. I am in a line of work and at a level where good people like my self are getting harder and harder to find. I do large commercial/industrial HVAC work , mainly repair , troubleshooting and figuring out ways to make things work properly , reliably & consistently when no one else can.

I have decided to stay one more year to do some debt reduction and get the wife back into the workforce.

I am NOT happy with my job ( haven't been for a few years) but have chosen to deal with it one more year. The money is good and I'll probably take a pay cut but I am realizing if your job or life is making you unhappy YOU need to develop a plan to change it . Life is short . Don't live in peril and unhappiness.

when I was single and much younger I would simply quit a job when I no longer liked it . Now that I have a family and am the sole source of income it is scary to think about change.

If your job or life sucks DO something about it , only YOU can change it.

Do it before you have wasted more time that you will never get back .

Just don't do anything rash that will cause you more pain and unhappiness.

Develop goals and plans and try to stick to them and make them happen.

5. now thats funny. the work force is not what it use to be. job jumping now shows you are, using the big word, diversified. job jumpin, when i started it ment you couldnt hold a job. senority, right. means nothing today. at any time you are subject to change for whatever fill in the blank reason they can find. even if you do stand above the crowd still doesnt guarentee promotions. outside activities play a big roll here. yes, i am very happy with my job. my boss man is awesome. the people i work with are like my brothers. we have a great shop. im just tellin you like it is.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021