Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Having trouble sleeping

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jackmurray, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Title says it all. Go to bed at 10-11:00, and 1:00 or 2:00 I'm still lying in bed awake. Does anyone experience the same problem, or have any good advice on falling asleep. Anything would be appriciated.

2. I have the same problem sleeping. Some things that might help...

-Listening to quiet/relaxing/mellow music while your laying there. Alot of the time i cant sleep is because i keep thinking about things, on thought triggers another and it goes on for hours. With some good music playing in the background, it takes your mind off of things and you can fall asleep faster.

-Have a glass of warm milk. Just microwave it until its warm. It doesnt taste bad, like when its been left out. I believe that warm milk releases a chemical in your body that makes you sleepy

- Half an hour before going to bed, do some exercise. It doesnt have to be a full on work out, just a quick jog around the block.

-Don't go on the computer before going to sleep. The bright screen will stimulate your mind and make it harder. However, i think its okay to watch TV, the screen isnt as bright and full on. Sometimes if i cant sleep, ill grab my blanky and pillow and lay down on the couch and watch some TV, i can fall asleep pretty quick

-Lastly, which i think is a well known trick.... Masturbate.

Peace
    Blake

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Have you seen a doctor? Insomnia is a treatable condition. I know, I've had it treated. It usually starts out just as you describe.

These days, if I'm up after I attempt to sleep, it's because of overindulgence in caffiene too close to bedtime.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Not so sure about the exercising, exercise heats your body, which makes it hard to sleep. Exercise is good against insomnia, but I'd do it a couple of hours before going to bed, not half an hour before.

Oh, and something I always do, I NEVER watch my clock to see what time it is when I can't sleep. That just makes me nervous, which results in more insomnia.

5. All good advice. I do tend to stay up late on the computer, and listen to fast heavy music right before bed.

I don't have insomnia, it's just as Chips said, one thought triggers another, and 3 hours later, my mind is racing.

I don't think music is the answer, though, unless it's classical music, or something without drums.

I'm going to go and have some warm milk now. Good night.

(I'll probably be back on here in an hour or two.)

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    no heavy music!

-try to go to sleep at the same time everyday
    -no coke, coffee, etc
    -if you're on certain meds, check for stimulants. I once slept 2 hours in a night because I took some drug against a cold that contained a caffeine extract.
    -make sure you have a quality bed

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I had this problem, mainly because i wasnt doing much in the day, so my body wasnt ready to sleep, Insomnia, like people have said can be treated by getting up an hour earlier, doing a little exersize in the day, and when your in bed, dont look at the clock, position your clock/radio in a place which isnt viewable.

8. suuure... warm milk... your looking on the net for help with another one of my sugestions arent you?!

:p

9. Benadryl. One 500mg tab and you are OUT!!

Oh, and chips is right. Masturbation/sex works. When a male has an orgasm he goes through a HUGE slough of chemical releases and uptakes. One of them is the chemical that makes you sleepy. Which is why you want to go to sleep after you have sex. It's not that you are insensative to your partner wanting to snuggle/talk/whatever, it's your body telling you to stop doing things for a while.

See? That Biological Psychology class DID come in handy for something!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Start counting backward from 100 at every breath you take.

You'll never make it to 30.

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Don't wake up late. Force yourself to wake up early. Early, early, early! If you need to nap, go for a short power nap no longer than 20 minutes, and don't nap later than 4 in the afternoon.

12. I've tried that, starting from one, I got to 250 and gave up.

I might start stimulating my reproductive organs before bed...

Now I have nothing to do.

13. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    +1 on not doing much during the day. If I do a lot of yard work or even study all day for an upcoming test, when the time comes to sleep, I'm out like a rock. Lots of physical/mental exercise can work wonders for sleep.

Also, if you're not in school, reading a book or doing a crossword puzzle helps.

14. Smoking before bedtime can keep you up also.

15. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm not sure I agree 100% on the loud music thing. Granted, I haven't had much success going to sleep to music, but I used to try it with stuff like Terry Riley or boards of canada. Never worked... the music was too interesting and I kept concentrating on it. Same thing with hip-hop, I kept listening to the lyrics. I always had the best success with straight up rock or metal... put on some KMFDM, and I could sleep to the no problem.

One good idea is to get up at the same time every day. Don't let you schedule wander too much on the weekends. Reading is good, but choose your material wisely. It's easy to get caught up in a fast paced novel or something and stay up way late. Sometimes I'll pick up my copy of Art of Electronics. I love this book to death, but at night, it'll put me out like a light.

Oh, and if you're on Claritin or anything else with pseudoephedrine, be careful... that stuff will keep you up for sure. I never take the 24-hour kind, only the 12-hour. I can usually tell right when I get up if I'm going to need it, so I always take it in the morning. Taking it in the afternoon or at night is playing with fire.

16. +1 on whoever mentioned having a quality bed.

Although I still suffer from insomnia many nights, I am so glad I got a new mattress recently. I had the same mattress for a number of years, and besides my insomnia, I awoke every morning feeling severely unrefreshed and having several back pains.

Once I got that new mattress, man.. it was like heaven the first night. My back was fine, I felt good in the morning, granted it still took me a little while to fall asleep, but it was worth it. Besides the new mattress thing, to fall asleep I usually read a book(although it seems not as many people do that as they used to), watch tv, or even play some bass for 10-15 minutes, get some jazz or something nice in there.. it's relaxing.

17. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    All about peace of mind. That lump of gray in your head is what is going to keep you up or put you to sleep, anyway.

For me, trying to outsmart myself never works. If I can't sleep, it's because I'm thinking about something too much and not relaxing.

Relax from the top of your head all the way down to your toes, and I mean really RELAX. Focus on each part and physically relax the tension in it.

Counting, pills and remedies have never worked. Carry on a pleasant thought pattern and physically relax your body, and the mind will follow. Don't worry yourself to death.

As a newspaper editor, I have a real problem of thinking "did I remember to change the datelines on 3B?" or "did that photo stay in its frame before it went to the press?"

Put those thoughts out of your mind. You'll conk out when your body gets ready.