Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Having trouble with EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Apr 11, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Ok, I have an Ampeg SVT-350H with and SVT410HLF cab, and I can't seem to get my E string (yes, I only play a 4 string) to come through as well as the other three. I'm not really used to the Graphic 9-band EQ, and with my old amp you had to set everything at 10 to get any kind of sound out at higher volumes, so I don't really know what the deal is with the 3-band either. I like the sound I get with the higher 3 strings, but I can't get the E string to get the same "punch". I tried searcing for a similar thread, but with no prevail. HELP PLEASE! :confused:

2. sounds like you may have a dead string, or that your pickups may not be levelled very well...

im still an amp newbie, but i cant imagine a problem within an amp that would affect one string alone... :)

3. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    I tried both of those thing, but it happens on both of my basses...Ric '74 4001 and Fender Pbass

4. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    how do you have your EQ set at the moment? where are you're dials/sliders set to and their respective frequencies?

5. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    I've got my mid's at 4-5, highs at 5-6 and bass topped off...I don't know what else to try. I really dont know what to do with my EQ, so I haven't really used it.. :confused:

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    1st off check out this thread

next, most times the best eq is no eq.

to me, having your bass "topped off" is a huge red flag. the low frequencies eat up watts/headroom like crazy, and in a full bad situation, you may have trouble being heard. mids cut thru, not low end. The fact that you "had everything on ten" on the old amp is also a big red flag. in that case, you were probably just giving the preamp section an overall boost (although some in between frequencies probably got lost), and you could have done the same thing by boosting the preamp a bit more.

eq can help with room anomalies, but it can also be a real monster. if you must eq, always try cuttign freqencies before boosting. often you can solve problems that way.

7. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
  8. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks IvanMike, I posted before I realized that you had....

Are there any settings that you suggest? I'm trying to get a nice punch and still have a nice bottom end.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    "punch" usually happens somewhere in low mid land. often, you can get a more "punchy sound" by cutting exteeme lows a bit, which can tend to muddy up your tone. trying the eq and pickup blend on your bass, as well as adjusting your playing style can really help as well. also, different cabinets may make a huge difference.