1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Having trouble with my bass amp- burning smell.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lenam909, Apr 6, 2009.

1. I have a 300w ashdown bass amp combo. At my last band practice there was a burning smell and after turning on one piece of equipment at a time we realised that it was coming from my bass amp. There is no loss in volume and the fan is still pushing out cold air. Nothing on the amp feels hot and all the lights work fine. I don't know if this is relevant but I plug my instrument into a bass big muff which then goes direct to the low input. Since the big muff pedal is powered via a 9v mains adapter should I be going through the high input? Our practice room has been really cold all winter, I wouldn't be suprised if the room was colder than outside, but not summer is coming along it is starting to feel warmer than outside, do you think that has something to do with it? And I can't get a clear answer on this, but some ashdown bass amps have a tube pre-amp, neither the manual or ashdown website can tell me if mine has a tube pre-amp or not. If if it does then I imagine there is just some dust being burned and is nothing to worry about but I just don't know at the moment.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Tech time.

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    ABM series, tube. MAG series, no tube.

Other than that, I'll second tech time.

4. Hi.

If Your practice space is dusty, the insides of the amp are most likely quite dusty too. The problem with most fan assisted ventilation systems is the tendency to have dust build-ups whenever the air velocity drops.

If You're not handy with electrical safety issues, +1 for the thech time.

Regards
    Sam

5. I'll give it a bit of a clean before next practice and see how it goes, maybe try using the effects loop too before taking it to get looked at. 4-string, i'll go with that, cheers people.