1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Having YOUR OWN monitor mix onstage….RULES!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. Sometimes, as self-sufficient, self-supporting performing musicians, we deal with constraints of mixer capabilities, accessibility to power amps / equalizers, monitor wedges, etc. So after months and years of gigs where we only have one monitor mix onstage, I grew tired of hearing lead vocalists at 140dB all night. I decided to put on my thinking cap…

    In studying the features of our stage mixer and a small mixer that I own, I realized that with a bit of creative patching and use of the “channel insert without interrupt” feature of our stage mixer, I was able to create 4 separate monitor mixes for our band. Holy crap, what a difference!!! No more lead vocalist wailing through my wedge at 140 dB all night, turning my brain into guacamole!!!

    After I configured the external monitor mixer and explained to each bandmember ”Just tell me what you want in your monitor” everyone had an exceptional time last night.!! What a relief, my ears are thanking me and so are my bandmembers.

    Word to frequently performing musicians: what ever you do, look into configuring your mixer / monitor system such that each performer has a custom mix. It makes all the difference in the world, and it WILL save your hearing.

    :cool: :)
  2. You get monitors?
  3. Passinwind

    Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

    Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    How much EQ are you committing to each mix? How much power? Who's paying or providing those pieces? Who tweaks the EQ if something feeds back during the set? Typical sound deWd questions, I know. Sorry!


    I know a lot of guys who are going to in-ear monitor systems nowadays. That'll really save your hearing, if done correctly.

    Anyway, congrats on finding something that works for you. I hate self-mixing, unless it's for my duo, which is really easy to deal with.
  4. Couldn't imagine playing a show without them. A human voice onstage is no match for guitar amps and drums. Maybe it's a regional thing, us 'northerners' feel the need for wedge speakers and 'southerners' don't need or want them?

    :confused: :)
  5. All loud, clear, no feedback unless someone points a mic at a wedge. SCREEEEE!

    :eek: :D
  6. RicPlaya


    Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Stage mix and overall mix are two different things and if yiur wedges and mains are through the same amp then it's all the same. We do a similar thing with and amp patch but we have 2 different amps one to power the wedges and one for the mains and the difference is amazing like you said.
  7. xyllion

    xyllion Commercial User

    Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    We did this on a limited basis at our last gig. I ran two different mixes in the monitors. One monitor was next to the drummer. The other was in front of the the guitarist/singer/keyboards. I actually didn't have a wedge because I with the setup we had, I actually had the perfect mix without a wedge.
  8. I was joking :)
  9. Oh, you got me then. :oops:

  10. Petebass


    Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I guess we're lucky here in Oz. 99% of the PA's we hire have 4 sends of foldback, so I can usually tailor my own monitor mix. The other 1% have 3 sends so I may have to share with one other person - which isn't ideal but works well enough if you're paired up with someone who shares your views on what constitutes a good monitor mix.

    I usually go home happy.
  11. christoph h.

    christoph h.

    Mar 26, 2001
    on 90% percent of the gigs I play I get a personal monitor mix. for another project in the works we're trying to check out in-ear-monitoring.

    and yes, it really is *much* better to play with a personal monitor mix, especially when playing with *many* musicians, eg. horn-sections and more than one keyboarder plus drums, percussion, two guitars and strings!

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.