Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hawkwind and Related Projects

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The definitive Stoner Rock band... they really made it what it is, they took it beyond Psychedellic songs about love and flowers and injected a massive ambient feel. Between the extended jams, atmospheric insanity, often poetic lyrics, pulsing bass (some of my favorite from Motorhead's own Lemmy!), swirling wahed guitar... they literally reproduce the feeling of being high aurally! (The only reason I know is contact buzz... I swear. :) )

Referencing the lyrics... seriously this is the greatest poem to me... it seriously has a deep meaning to me, I don't know why, I have a huge connection to it:

While this futurist tale of armageddon via a destructive wall of noise is being read, swirling sounds of destruction surround you. Absolute genius. I think every person should sit down and listen to Space Ritual at least once. Well, it might not be for everyone. But everybody interested in trippy/druggy music, music that feels perfect.

The reason I included "related projects" is Hawkwind's resident poet: Robert Calvert! I bought a copy of Monster Magnet's latest album Monolitic Baby, and they cover "The Right Stuff" and in the interview disc, Dave Wyndorf talks about this album, "Captain Lockheed and The Starfighters." He talks about it being a concept album about flying around in these planes. Strange enough, I thought, and found a copy.

[​IMG]

It's actually a rather deep album, it's about an elite German fighting airforce squad, absolutely mad, and certain members absolutely obsessed with the glory of dying as a Starfighter. They are mocked by other forces on the same side, and their deaths are scoffed at instead of mourned. By the end you feel sorry for the poor bastards.

It's an album that sucks you in, has storylines in between songs, and actually is quite funny at spots (on purpose too). An incredible album that has been lost over time. Dave Wyndorf became that much cooler by finding it for me. ;)

2. this is my first post though i have lurked here for a while now. but i just had to reply to a message dealing with hawkwind :hyper: i just got into them a few months ago when i went on sort of a classic prog rock kick that also included buying the yessongs cd. i got a hawkwind compilation and love it. i've been thinking about getting space ritual too as i've heard it rocks. love the stoney, heavy, psychedelic sounds. reminds me a lot of syd barret era floyd except a lot heavier. cool man!

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool that Hawkwind brought you out of the shadows. We seem to be the only ones who like them :meh: ;)

4. yea, come one, where's all the hawkwind love? we're talking about lemmy here guys! :p

5. Id like to get into them, where would be the best place to start?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Space Ritual gets my obvious nomination. Though "In search of space" is more critically acclaimed I suppose. They kinda lost their edge when they hit the 80s... but anything before that is good... seems everything after that is a live album. Dave Brock (the frontman/guitarist) must have some kind of ego problems, because that band has gone through an amazing amount of lineup changes.

They are THE space rock band.

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Count me as a fan too, especially of The Lemmy Period! "Space Ritual", "Hall fo The Mountain Grill" and "Warrior On The Edge of Time" are classics! They made me think at times of what would happen if Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath merged.

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    :eek:
    Sounds amazing. I better check this band out.

9. +1...been thinking the same thing myself. I knew Lemmy played in a band named Hawkwind, but I didn't think to have a listen...and, hell, they're named after a Michael Moorcock character...what's not to love!?!?!?!?!

10. Nah, wait! That's Hawkmoon I'm thinking of...although they do have an album called Chronicle Of The Black Sword which is based on Elric...I'm an idiot... :crying:

11. Hawkwind is truly amazing.

My favorite album of theirs is Doremi Fasol Latido. It starts off with Brainstorm, which is an absolute nut-buster of a tune. Monster Magnet did a cover of it on Superjudge.

Good stuff.