Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HAZ Laboratories Mutron III ???????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    what does everyone think about the HAZ Laboratories Mutron III+ Envelope Filter Pedal. I'm thinking about buying one.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's a stolen design. The makers of the MuTron III+ had nothing to do whatsoever with designing it. They simply pounced on the copyrights when they ran out and stole it out from under the guy who actually invented it.

If you really want a MuTron, go with an Electro Harmonix Q-Tron. It was designed by the guy who actually designed the original MuTron III, Mike Biegel.

3. NO NO NO! If you want a Mutron, buy the original model.

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, as someone who just sold an original MuTron III today, I also agree that a used 70s MuTron is the way to go if you are willing to spend the money for one.

If you want a new effect, however, go with the QTron.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i heard the Qtron didn't have the low end as the new Mutron

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wow.... $14,000 for a PEDAL????!!!! Even I wouldn't spend that much on one of those.:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    does the Q and the new Mu sound different???

9. Ok now just settle down you guys. Yeah, we all know that the original 'Tron is THE way to go, right? We all agree that the HAZ model is incomparable to the real thing; a completely different animal. But when compared to many of today filters, the MutronIII+ holds up VERY well. First off, it's built like a bloody TANK certainly far better than an EH box and not half as fragile as a real Mutron III. THe biggest plus (and this is from a guy who has owned three Mutron III's) is that it is smoooooth. Very well tuned for bass and with many nice variables and user tweak-able parameters. I think for the price, you're better off sonically with a real one but if you don't want to fret about an antique at gigs, the re-issue is very nice. It is kinda dry, a little bland but still better than most given all it can offer.
    So there.

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My point had nothing to do with how the HazLabs version sounds. It has to do with the fact that it's a stolen design obtained under unscrupulous means. If you have no problem with that, cool. Go for it. I just wanted to point out that the creator of the MuTron III was screwed by the people making the MuTron III+ and I, personally, don't want to reward such backstabbing behavior.

That's why I recommended the Q-Tron as a substitute for an original 70s MuTron III.

11. Weeeeellllll...I guess ol' Beigel shoulda thought about that kinda stuff BEFORE he decided to sell th company, right? He wasn't exactly "screwed" just didn't make the kinds of decisions that would have kept him in control of his creations. I mean...the Gizmotron?? Have you ever played one of those? What was he thinking??
    Anyhoo...A Q-tron sounds terrific, far better thant the Mock III+ but lacks the 'Trons intuitive, bass friendly, no-brainer dynamic. Better suited for the studio IMO.

12. I've owned 2 q-tron's, and then finally a "new" MutronIII. It sounds WAY better than the q-tron!!
    I haven't had the chance to play an original, so I can't compare, but in my opinion, it does have a much better responce to a bass than a q-tron does. Go with the MutronIII!!!!

13. I'd think the EH/Beigel box to bit a tad "squelchier" and wetter than the bone dry III+.
    A tip...feed your HAZ labs Tron more juice for a far better tone. The thing can actually deal with as much as 24v and sounds markedly better (tho' not as good as an original!)

14. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I had one of those HAZ III+ things and I never did warm up to it. It doesn't have the grease and responsiveness of the original. My Modulus would always overdrive it so that it almost instantly went to the limit of the envelope when I hit a note, no wah effect, no matter how I set it. I run the volume on my basses WFO---'cause I like it that way, so if your bass has a very hot output like mine you won't like it. In fact, you probably won't like it anyway. However, it is, as the Mad man said built like a tank.

It's overpriced, falls short of the mark, AC adapter is pricey and it ain't got no grease.
    Why bother? YMMV :cool:

15. Yeah, I'm certainly not suggesting one choose it over a REAL one, god forbid. I just wanted to point out that it is in favt better than most. When you apply enough voltage, the headroom increases dramatically; 18v doesn't get that box where it sounds best at all.

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I like the Ibanez AF9 Auto Filter that's built into my Ibanez UE303B pedalboard. It's a filter based on the Mutron, with the same controls (Sens/Range knobs; Hi/Lo, HP/BP/LP, and Up/Down switches), and really fat analog sound. I've tried the Haz Labs Mutron III+, Q-Tron and Q-Tron +, the DOD FX25 and 25B, plus all the Boss filters and I like the Ibanez the best for both autowah and sub filter duty.

The AF9 was made in the 80's and was recently reissued. The UE303B has the AF9, a 3-knob compressor, a footswitchable effects loop, and a flanger/stereo chorus built into a sturdy, AC powered box with a master bypass footswitch.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Can't afford the old, not a huge fan of the new, I like my Q-tron. It can see how people would say it has less range for the bass than the MutronIII, but there are still very many usable tones.

18. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    O.K. I went ahead and bought the MutronIII+ and I dig it.

Sounds good and looks funky as hell.

Thanks for all the advice peoples.

Now i need to post a thread to find out how to use the damn thing. i got it set to a really good place right now but i don't really understand how i got there or what other setting people use for playing.

Thanks again!

19. Keep it in "LP" modeuntil yer ready to really branch out. Think of that "low/high" range switch as either end of your "depth" knob, rather than having _one_ giant knob (or something..) I prefer "down" mode for thick dub type tones but "up" gets yopu the more classic filter tone I 'spose. I attached a large stereo volume dial to the depth knob so I could tweak it with my foot. AND....be sure to use the adapter for waaay more headroom and a tad "wetter" sounds, consider getting a 24v one to really get the most from it. After you've done all that....go buy a real one (!)
    Enjoy!

20. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah i saw a real one on ebay i was thinking about getting. i'm too young and poor to do too much experimental purhasing. i knew a replica would get a decent sound and not blow up on me!!!