1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HBD 2fer for Elvis! what if he'd been a great bassist instead?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass V, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it's his birthday today and looky here!
    upload_2018-1-8_11-36-2.

now I won't rest til I hear Elvis playing this Tele bass!
    speculation of how history would be treating The King if he'd had a burning passion for bass instead of guitar and singing is intriguing considering he brung the looks, rhythm talent, and wild spirit to the stage and studio which could have put a revolutionary spin in Fender and bass history far beyond what we've known for 6 decades. of course he'd need a supportive BL of the day but if all the planets aligned like they did for him in real life who knows what we'd be talking about today!

design and OldDog52 like this.
  2. It's not a Tele bass. It's a Precision. And we wouldn't be talking about him at all. Oh...IMO.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    oh look, you're right, and ...you're wrong, IMO.
    he'd have stood a good chance of being the first iconic 4 string star and changed the course of music in different ways than he did. if so, just think of the collaborations between him and Leo or Gibson, we'd definitely be all over it.

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As the story goes, Bill Black couldn't warm to the newfangled bass and in frustration threw it to the floor where Elvis picked it up and played bass on Jailhouse Rock.

Bass V likes this.
  5. I've seen several pictures of Elvis playing bass. If I'm not mistaken there's a famous picture of him with a Jazz Bass from some tine in the 60s. I read somewhere that he enjoyed messing around on bass.

Bass V likes this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it looks like he had the talent to pull it off on bass and I'd say this cements any chance that he'd have been historic on bass had he chosen to. his desires were simply too strong to be denied and once he started on something he gave it all he had.

“On 'Baby I Don't Care' , the Fender electric bass had just come out at that time and Bill Black was using the upright bass. In live concerts, you really couldn't hear the upright, they couldn't ‘mike it up’ well cause the sound systems in those days weren't very good. So it was really just for effect. When the Fender bass came out, it was electrified. And Elvis loved it because it'd be great in concert. It gave him a bass sound behind him. So when it first came out, Bill Black had to learn how to play it and he was having a little trouble. On the 'Jailhouse Rock' session when they got to 'Baby I Don't Care' and the intro that's on there, Bill couldn't get it down like Elvis wanted it. So Elvis played it. He recorded it and then he sang over it
    A Few Targeted Thoughts: Elvis Presley: (The Secret Bass) Guitarman?

if it was good enuf for top producers...

OldDog52 and 2saddleslab like this.
  7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Col. Parker probably forbade Elvis from pursuing bass because it’s generally not a road to fame and especially not to fortune.

Bass V likes this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ultimately, yes, excluding big daddy the fantasy sky would've been the limit for one of Elvis' caliber.
    but, just think if the Col. was fully on board with it, they'd have instead recorded songs like Big Bass Man, I've Got A Bass, Bass I Love You So, A Big Hunk O' Bass, Little Bass, Burning Bass, and the anthem classic An American Bass... I tell ya, bass wouldn't still be in the background!

9. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I've read a couple of Beatles histories/biographies that mention when the Beatles met Elvis he was sitting around noodling away on his Fender bass.

Bass V likes this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Paul say's that was his 'in' with Elvis, they had a commonality to bond with and it helped break the ice.

biguglyman likes this.
  11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm telling you, he coulda been a contenda!

upload_2018-2-17_16-9-23.

design likes this.
  12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it's good to be The King on bass
    upload_2018-3-4_1-10-1.

mtdkingstonheir and RNG1 like this.
  13. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015