1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HBE UFO Ultimate Fuzz Octave SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Got this a little while ago, about time I do some quick soundclips. Bass is just a stock SX P/J shortscale purple sparkly girl bass. First is with the fuzz maxed on vintage mode for a thick fuzz sound:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7498878

Next is with the fuzz at noon for a halfway crunchy fuzz:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7498896

And then, even with the fuzz maxed, you can clean up pretty far for a dark fuzzy overdrive-like tone:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7498901

and then of course you'll want to hear the octave on it so here's with the octave engaged:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7498908

Check it out, let me know what you think!

2. [​IMG]

I'm likin' it. Especially the first track.

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Thanks, now I have GAS for another fuzz. :help:

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    sounds pretty epic :D

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    octave mode sounds pretty jimiriffic!

6. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Fantastic! GAAASSSSS!!!! :help:

7. Sounds great! Thanks for the clips.

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    HBEUFO2 sounds like a g****r and a bass playing the octave below. Wowzers! Nice!!!

9. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I really like this pedal, it's my new favorite pedal. Brought it to a gig and left it on the whole night, it can get really clean with your volume knob if you have the fuzz at noon, and the tone is really warm and kind of fat. You wouldn't normally expect an octave fuzz to be so versatile. Also, like I said before in a different thread this is supposedly a Foxx Tone Machine clone... I had my suspicions that my Prescription Electronics Experience pedal was based on that too, but now the least I can say is that the UFO and Experience are different animals. The UFO cleans up much more musically, and the UFO has a different polarity ground, so the UFO requires isolated outputs on a daisy chain where the Experience is fine with most other pedals. So there's definitely a new T. Rex Fuel Tank Jr. on my horizon.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I really liked the octave clip.

11. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I really like the octave on this pedal, it's not as clear on the low notes as the one on the Prescription Electronics Experience pedal I've got, but I think it has the most "pleasing" tone out of all the fuzz octaves I've tried.

I also really like how meaty the fuzz can get like in the first clip. The bass I was playing had really dead light gauge strings that were lacking that roundwound bite at the time I recorded the clips. That fuzz can really growl and thicken things up.

12. cabbage

cabbage

Aug 16, 2009
    Singapore
    anyone knows if the UFO works well wit a stingray?

13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Hmm, that's hard to say. Unfortunately I don't have an active bass to try this pedal out with (I only play passive instruments). Supposedly the UFO is a clone of the old Foxx Tone Machine, which, being a vintage fuzz, probably wasn't designed with active instruments or having buffers in front of it in mind, which means there's a chance it might not play well with an active bass or a bass with active EQ or any other buffers in front of it. But I have no way of being certain of one way or the other... sorry I can't be of more help!

14. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Awesome, been looking for clips of this beast! Oddly enough my search for an octave fuzz began after hearing a guitarist playing a Foxx Tone Machine, and I definitely love the sound. This is definitely next on my list, been looking for something to replace my ancient, falling apart, rewired-too-many-times Sovtek Big Muff.

The reverse polarity is unfortunate, I guess I'll have to run it on battery or an extra wall wart.

15. theavondon

theavondon

May 11, 2009
    Town
    I love how everybody's first destination with fuzz is "Gratitude". It sure is mine.

FYI, my Tone Machine clone works well with actives, so no worries there. It does kinda get crazy if you boost the lows, but that's just due to the insane amount of fuzz.