Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HC Import-The "Rate my rig" thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tekhna, Jun 3, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    No bashing, let's just stick was straight-forward assessments of one anothers gear!

[​IMG]

Here is my humble rig-And for my purposes (small but LOUD gigs at college) I would give it a 9/10. In comparison to some of the incredible rigs on the board it is probably a 4.5/10.
    I couldn't ask much more of a rig that has cost me less than 650 dollars. I need to get some pics up of my pedalboard, but I don't often use them.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hey nice rig! Man that amp sure is sexy! :smug: Actually man that looks to be a really nice setup.

BTW, how does that Avatar 212 sound with the Trace?

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I think the Avatar pairs up really well with the trace. I am getting a really diverse set of tones, and the 12s suit it very well. I'd like to get some clips up soon!

let's see some more rigs people!

4. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK Tekhna, here ya go. My current gig rig:

[​IMG]

I would rate mine as 8/10 only because I think its about time for a retube and I still need/want the ever elusive 4052 Bright Box.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    [​IMG]

Failing that: Pics near the bottom

I think in the grand scheme things, it pretty low ratings wise.

But considering Im 16, and thats what I want, I have to give it a ten.

EDIT - Webshots link seemed to work and then not. Oh well, different link and a URL now.

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Well, let's hear what it is! My rig is only what it is because I am a poor 19 year old student attending a 34,000$/yr college!

kelly-that looks great! What kind of tubes does that beast take? Does the 2x15 get too overwhelming, or is it relatively clear?

7. Your rig is way too big. 850 kb is more than any bassist ever needs. I would try to reduce it by at least 90, if not 95%.

8. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I don't think that is the point.
    Anything constructive to add the thread?

EDIT-[​IMG]
    Happier now?

9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Hey, it's a better rig than I had as a 19 year-old college student! Mine was a Peavey Mark IV with a 2x15. I think it's great!

I had a similar TE head w/the 7-band EQ, and I've owned two Avatar cabs. The Trace head is a great score, especially if you like it, it's loud enough, and help give you "your sound." And I'd put Avatar cabs against anything that costs 2x as much or more.

And the SX's are thought of highly here, as well. Been Jones-ing for one of the SX/Brice/Rondo T-Birds myself.

Great rig for you, man!

dcr

10. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    heh, if you look at the picture the volume knob is well below 1-It is pretty damn loud in the bedroom at that level.

We need some other rigs here, not just mine and Kelly's!

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I edited mine, does the image work now?

12. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

hmm, I am not seeing it.

13. [​IMG]
    ^^^Jack's rig. Nice.

Ok, after I posted this, I can suddenly see it in all the other posts. Odd.

14. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My QuatraValve uses two 12ax7's in the pre and four 6550's for power. Curreently the power tubes are EH's and
    I have no clue what the pre's are.

On the 215, this is the clearest 215 I have ever heard! It has a very full tone but has serious definition an punch. I know
    alot of people say 15's are muddy but this cab is far from it even with the tube amp! I get compliments all the time on
    my tone and the punchiness of my rig. I'm very happy with it. :D

Now if I could just afford some Mullard 12ax7's to go with a new set of JJ KT88 tubes. ;)

Also, I thought I would also show off my backup rig :p

[​IMG]

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Wow, there are some really nice rigs in this thread.

Thanks for all the compliments on mine as well, I again edited my original post. :rolleyes:

16. Leeum

Leeum

Aug 21, 2004
    England, UK
    First rig I put together over the last 3 weeks :bassist: Not bad for being 15, volume doesn't need to go over around 1 ;)

Peavey 410 TVX
    Hartke Transient Attack 3500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to buy a Firebass 700 head soon, should give me a bit more power and it's passive cooled so i don't have to put up with a whiney fan like this Hartke does :D After that i'll get a new bass, i'm thinking a Fender Jazz :)

17. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    AWESOME set-up!

18. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Jack, that is one nice setup for a "beginner" rig. :) I give ya a 9 since you have the cool looking blue cones and I don't. ;)

Leeum is see you scored a real Hartke head. They are monsters compared to the newer ones.
    I give you only a 9 because you have empty rack spaces. :p j/k!

Oh yea, I forgot to rate yours tekhna. Hmm...I say a 9 here as well. You really need that head rackmounted or something.
    I don't want to see it get hurt. I take that 9 back and give you a 1 until you get it protected then I'll give you a 10! :D

19. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    This is fun!

Kelly, awesome taste in gear man. That quatra is so sick.
    The backup rig is very nice to. Both 10's.

Tekhna, very nice...I might be getting that same amp. Avatars, great choice. I always wondered how they sounded with a trace. 9 (a rack would compete it, but you don't really need much more)

Jack, That P-bass is sexy. Ashdown stack looks nice too. 9

Heres mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Jack-Great rig! That is a HOT precision! What model is it? Personal taste and not being a massive fan of the ashdown head leads me to give you a 7/10, but it is a tremendous value for the money.

Leeum-Great rig as well. Those peavey cabs are so underrated! A good friend of mine at school has the same rig as that, only a 2x10TX. It sounds great! 8/10 from me!

43%-looks good too! Some great rigs. Never heard the GB stuff, but they have been highly reccomended. GB guitar cabs sound great, I do know that much! What do you think of the aerodynes? I wasn't such a huge fan, but I know I am in the minority on that one. Nice G&L too!