1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HDTV Color calibration

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RS, Apr 18, 2010.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Necessary or waste of money? Best Buy was pushing this service pretty hard today.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    complete waste of money. most modern flatscreen tv's have this "service" as part of the first-run-install. Set the colors to YOUR preference, not some "standard" they set. Unless it's a THX cert, and you're really in optimal viewing conditions, total waste.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks, I didn't really buy their explaination why I couldn't turn down the backlight and manually tweak the video settings myself with reasonably good results. I don't doubt that a well trained tech with the right equipment could come up with "optimal" settings for my environment, but I doubt the difference could be worth $300.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    WOW! 300 bucks? that's insane! Especially when that is almost half the price of a mid-level screen these days.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, it sounded crazy to me. It really turns me off from buying anything from them - not to mention the constant introductions, hand shaking, etc.

RS

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I mean I appreciate a helpful staff, but it gets a bit forced after a while. I seldom do business with them unless I can hand them proof of a lesser price and they'll match it.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just get an Avia or Digital Video Essentials calibration disc and do it yourself. Or you can just pull out any of your THX-certified DVDs and you will find a basic calibration section somewhere in the special features on that disc. I have several DVDs that have this included.

bc

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    excellent.

9. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Complete waste of money. However, the $300 HDMI cable is a must. :D

10. Monsters Inc and The Incredibles or any of the Star Wars films should do the trick. If you haven't any of those on DVD you need to reassess your priorities! :D

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think UP had it too. Maybe Finding Nemo. Terminator 2.. etc..etc..

bc