Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HDTV: Mitsubishi vs. Hitachi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 22, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am getting a rear projection HDTV in the next few days, and had pretty much decided on Mitsubishi. They have the reputation of being the best.

A friend of my wife's is trying to convince us to get Hitachi. They said that they checked them out and the Hitachi is better. Better picture, and better quality components.

So, people who have experience with both of these, give me some opinions.

Thanks!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I can;t confirm this, but I have heard a rumor from 2 sources that Apple Computer is set to release some form of projection system, the report said that it was to be of the highest quality currently available and that it would be offered at a very good price.

Apple, while expensive in some areas, is also known for releasing high-end applications at incredibly low prices.

eitherway, no news as to when it will be debuted, but it may be next week, just something to keep in mind.

chances are mitsubishi or hitachi will be making the actual unit, but apple will brand it and have some new tech in it, at least this is what the rumor says.

I really don't know, it's kind of unexpected from apple, but not totally out of line.

3. theyre both japanese:D

4. embellisher

And your point is...

5. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I think his point is that almost all things Japanese are great, and comparing two Japanese products is usually like comparing Honda to Toyota.

6. finally! a man who understands me!

7. embellisher

Doh! Sorry, that went right over my head.

I know that they are both Japanese, but the picture on the Mitsubishi blows away all of the other Japanese rear projections I have seen. And there is not a local shop that sells Hitachi, so I can't compare them. I would have to order a Hitachi without ever seeing one in action.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have a fifty-some inch late 80's LDTV. bought it used for $300 3 years ago. Couldn't be happier, but I don't watch a whole ton of TV, and it is impractical for me to spend more on a TV when I only get 3 channels on farmervision.

9. embellisher

Thanks, Tim. Anybody else? How about anybody who has experience with Hitachi? I hear tons of great things about Mitsu, but when I look for comments on Hitachi, the ones I find are generally very good, but there are not many out there.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    we ended up getting the Hitachi Ultravision 51", after comparing it to Mitsu, Sony, Toshiba, and all the other usual stuff. It looked a little bit better than the Mitsu's we looked at side-by-side. There's some pretty good prices to be found right now too.

11. embellisher

Thanks for the input, Mark.

Where can one get a good price on a Hitachi?

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'd probably ask that guy in your signature about that...

but we got an open box model @ Circuit City. It was about $600 off what they usually go for @ all the other price-matching competitors.

13. Look at both of them and compare for yourself which u like best, take your time to try out different settings on both.. pick the one that's best for you.

right?

Right.

14. embellisher

Right!

Well, I found out that a place less than a mile from my job carried Hitachi and Mitsubishi, so on my lunch break I went and compared them.

The both rule.

So, I bought the Mitsu 48", because it was $200 less(a different dealer) than the Hitachi 51".

It will be here tomorrow. WOOHOO!!!:D

15. you're good as gravy as long as you avoid toshiba.

16. congrats with your new tv! Hope you'll have loads of fun with it :) but this isn't a reason to neglect your bass lol

17. congratulations! when it comes to tv, just like basses and amps, reputation is only worth so much. the hi-fi store i used to work for sold mitsubishi. it sold really well, but it really depended upon what your preferences were.

the mitsubishi TVs were great and i would've been very happy with one, but i thought the color was always a little "cold". i personally preferred panasonic on the lower end and pioneer ELITE on the upper end.

of course, for the price it's really hard to beat the 48" mitsubishi. that's the size TV i want to buy when i go hi-def. i'm not a huge TV kind of guy -- i still love my 20" sony that i got for free. it's great tv that doesn't take my attention away from my speakers! ;)

congratulations!

robb.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Congrats on the new telly!

My only contribution would have been that my Hitachi TV died on me after a little over 5 years. Soundcard (well, TV equivalent thing - so the tech said) packed in, and although only 5 years old, there were no spares - all obsolete.

Other than that it was great....but the lack of longevity and support (spares etc) has put me off them!

19. embellisher

I think I made the right decision. We really enjoyed this thing over the weekend.

I can't wait until my HD receiver gets delivered tomorrow!

20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My parents bought a Hitachi tv when I was real little. Must've been '84 or '85. They still use it. IME, Hitachi makes solid, reliable stuff. No qualms about it. I don't have much experience with Mitsubishi other than the fact that my uncle works for them. Of course I have another uncle who works for Hitachi. Not that any of that matters. I would stay away from Aiwa, though, as it is Sony's budget line. My parents bought an Aiwa tv two years ago and it don't work no mo'.