1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HDTV: Where to buy, online?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, May 30, 2007.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    One thing about being single again is that I can buy what I want.. I want an HDTV:

Where should I buy one? Cheaper online? Any decent sites?

2. eosdallas

eosdallas

Jan 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    it dont really matter, since prices will be about the same.

but a common thing for best buy to do is they sell you a product for uber cheap, and then say they dont have it, and upsell you another tv.

and for type of TV, theres good stuff, and there is crap.

plasma, pioneer, and panasonic are the only good ones, rest are crap.

LCD: sharp, toshiba, panasonic sony are good, there are some others, but i cant remember. but the rest are crap.

and DLP, mistubushi, toshiba and RCA are good, samsungs arent that great.

i do home theaters, and i mainly buy my TV's from distributors.

3. We have a samsung which is pretty good.

4. eosdallas

eosdallas

Jan 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    ^samsung tv's are okay, but i would look a different route.

their internal processors are mighty cheap, so standard definition programs look terrible. they also have communication errors with other boxes.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    NJL,

There are a lot of reputable sites such as B&H Photo Video's store. However, there are a lot of shady ones too, many of which seem to be located in NY or NJ (not all are shady though as B&H and some other good ones are there as well). When I'm buying from some place new I often check the reviews at www.resellerratings.com to see if there are excessive accusations of shadiness.

Having said that, when I DO buy an HDTV it's probably going to be from Sam's Club because they have a good selection, they tend to be cheaper than any other authorized retail outlet and they have an excellent return policy on electronics (as well as everything else but some stores have a stingier policy on electronics) - it's better than Costco's electronics return policy. Basically if you decide you don't like your TV 10 months down the road you just take it back. There is no time limit on returns. The only exception is computers, which can only be returned up to 6 months after the purchase.

bc

6. I have experianced a 42" pioneer one for a week. It was 'mighty' impressive, albeit the only channels that were in HD was Discovery and Geographic. However, I tried my 360 on it, played Test Drive Unlimited, not the best game for graphics and it was incredible, the colour and depth surpassed my Dell 19" monitor by far. Anyway, as for the best place to buy... you could always look at the demos in shops then have a look at some price comparision sites (they're not all bad ! ) and see how the price varies :)

7. eosdallas

eosdallas

Jan 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    having read this, and played with the vizio, and akai Plasmas that have come from there, they are very terrible products. they blur at the sliightest movement, which is why the demo is mainlay landscape. if you put one of those next to a pioneer or panasonic plasma, you WILL see a difference.

8. I wouldn't recommand buying from BestBuy, I heard they sell refurbished electronics.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you are really into watching TV, don't get a Vizio. They do fine for an upgrade from an old tube TV, but don't go with one if you're looking for the full on HD experience. They do work great as bedroom TV's or for people who just watch TV here and there.

I'd suggest some place like Costco or an audio/video store. The prices are surprisingly competitive in the boutique A/V shops for plasmas and LCD's up to 50". Sure, you can blow $15K on a 100" plasma with all the trimmings. But you can also score a nice deal on a 50" in one of those places, and you'll be buying it from people who usually really know what they are selling.

We bought our plasma from a A/V home theater shop.

-Mike

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks guys, keep them coming.. i'm getting reading for my gig tonight..

and yes, my oldest bro just bought from b and h... in addition, i'm also looking at costco and sam's..

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Tiger Direct
    Micro Center

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you think that Sam's only sells Vizio and Akai then I'm guessing that you've never actually been to one and looked at their selection. The one here in Waco sells Panasonic, Sony, Sharp and Samsung in addition to the budget brands. They usually have their HD TVs showing something from Discover HD when I've been in there.

bc

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Only reason I recommend Sam's over Costco is the superior return policy. You only have a 90 day return policy on TVs at Costco. 90 days vs. unlimited days is a big factor for me on such a large purchase.

bc

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah right.......I read in the Wall Street Journal today about some musician that does a lot of wild hog hunting from south of Dallas who just bought a huge amount of shares in Sams. :D

-Mike

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've had the oppoosite results with two Samsung DLP's (42" and 61"). Both have worked flawlessly and SD looks better than my SD tube TVs.

I have RCN cable with HD boxes, no complaints. Picture looks excellent.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Same here in Maryland... and they don't just display landscapes.

I got both of my Samsungs from a VA store that sold on eBay. Got great prices on both. They've since gone more local than internet.

Ubid had this 61" JVC projection TV for $1299 shipped, looks like it's ~$1450 now, still not bad IMO.
    http://www.ubid.com/JVC_HD-61Z886_6...tion_TV-__HDTV_-_720p/a11018421-c1358-s5.html

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Micro Center has an very nice selection of TV's/displays. Probably the first place I'd look locally if I were in the market, along with Sam's Club and Costco.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :bag:

bc

19. eosdallas

eosdallas

Jan 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    i never said thats all they carry. thats the majority of their TV sales.

there is no such thing as an RCN cable. but if you meant component, then those arent bi-communication cables. HDMI and DVI cables are. i hooked up a samsung tv to a samsung directv HD box via HDMI and it didnt format properly.

and i have never seen a LCD, plasma or DLP that looks better than a CRT television.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Then what the heck was your point?! Best Buy sells Insignia and Maxent. Circuit City sells Vizio too.

Why didn't you say "put one of those next to a pioneer or panasonic plasma that comes from there"? Your message implied that Sam's only sells crappy plasma TVs. Every store has their budget line and it's probably what most stores sell the most of. The Vizio and Akai TVs that "have come from there" are no different than the Vizio and Akai TVs that have come from somewhere else.

bc

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021