Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

He ALMOST ripped off my basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pointbass, Oct 19, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I had a rehearsal last night after work with an original writer who lives pretty close to my office, so I brought my basses to work. During the day the basses are locked in a closet in my office, so I never worry about them.

But last night after work I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts on the way to rehearsal to grab a cup of coffee. I (almost) always take my basses with me when I leave my car, but last night the parking lot at DD’s was empty except for my car & the guy who was working the counter. I had a double gig bag with both my 6 and 4 in it, and that sucker gets heavy at times, so I figured what could possibly go wrong :confused: I’m parked right by the door and the counter to order my coffee is maybe 25 feet away.

I kept an eye on the car while I was ordering, and only turned my back on it for literally 30-45 seconds while I paid the guy :rollno: . When I turned around, there was this miserable !@%&!!#@&! trying to jimmy the lock on my rear door to get at the gig bag. I ran out the door screaming at the b**tard and he took off, but dropped his door-shim-thing while he was running. The guy in the DD’s called the cops, they took the shim, most likely I’ll never hear about this again ……. :spit:

So, just a reminder for those of us who think our equipment is safe ….. you can’t be careless with your stuff. I very rarely leave my stuff in the car, but it does happen every rare once in a while …. no more! That gig bag held my two favorite basses of all time, my FBB fretless 6 and my ’86 MIJ Jazz Special. I not sure what I would have done if these basses disappeared because of my carelessness :(

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Happy 1k'th post, not so happy evening :p

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You lucky, lucky bastard.

That should learn ya but good.

4. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Geez, 1K posts, didn't even notice .... :eek:

And for what it's worth, rehearsal was a total drag as well :rolleyes:

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    30-45 seconds? And the guy had a slim jim at the ready to open the door?

Be careful, PB. Something tells me this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment attempt.

I'd bring the cheap stuff to after-work rehearsals for a while.

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, the cops said that a couple of guys have been hitting cars along this stretch of roadway (Route 9 North is in Sayreville NJ) because they can run through a wooded area right behind the shops. Can't catch the suckers, though .... :( I don't think it's anything specific about my car or basses, but who knows??? I'm not taking any more chances .......

And my wife said the same thing .... "Why do you always take those expensive basses? Isn't that why you bought the others?" Kind of hard to argue with that logic ...... :help:

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Wow, glad you saved your babies. Was this down by where we live ?

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Thanks Don ......

No, this was on Route 9 in Sayreville just before the Edison bridges ....

9. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The one right by the Walmart or the one by Bourbon Street ?
    Anyway, good for you. When are James, you and I going to meet up.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Just another reason for me to drop the money for some dark, dark window tinting for the back windows of my hatchback.

11. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Bourbon Street ........ :scowl:

I'll PM you both later today or tomorrow and we'll try to set a date ....... :cool:

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    OK, North Bound side then. Note to self, don't stop there on the way to gigs up north. Cool, I'll look out for the message.

13. Or you could put basses in the trunk of a car. If the car has a trunk of course.

14. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    If you want to catch this guy, drop a couple of bear traps in the wooded area where they make their escape.

15. WOW, I was about to ask what city this happened in, then I saw "Point Pleasant, NJ" as your home address. Would that be Pt Pleasant Beach by chance. I grew up there!

Those freakin bennies!! (just kidding)

Glad your basses are safe.

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Then you can really show him what happens when you steal gear.

17. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    "If you want to catch this guy, drop a couple of bear traps in the wooded area where they make their escape."..........
    ...............LMAO!

18. That was close. :eek:

It just goes to show us all that the moment you turn your back is the moment a thief strikes. :scowl:

I'm so glad to hear they didn't get anything of yours, Ed.

Mike ;)

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I would have beat him with the shimmy-tool!!!!

In all seriousness, a soundman once told me a rather interesting story.

The soundguy played drums in a band with this bass player. One night while walking out of a gig, some guys jump the bass player and steal his bass. A few weeks later, the bass player is browsing through a pawn shop. He recognized the one guy behind the counter as one of the guys who jumped him. He asked to see the bass (the salesman didn't recognize him) and he then grabbed the bass back the neck and cracked the guy in the head.

The judge said that the guy almost killed the dude (it was a Fender Precision I believe. I wouldn't want nine solid pounds of wood coming at my head). I think he wound up spending a few days in jail. The bass was still in tune after the whole incident though. :D

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

*spidey senses tingling*

You rang :D

I'm game... but pretty tight for time these next 2 weeks. Let me know what y'all are thinkin' though... I might be able to free somethig up.

Sorry to hear about the ordeal Ed... I lost a ric 4003 and a huge rig (4x12 and 1x18 biamped) in the 10ish minutes it took to finish loading the van with my stuff and get side tracked inside with the drummer and gui**** trying to pick up a pair of bar hounds after a show at Obsessions in 89

wounds like that never really fade :mad: