Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

He made me so proud

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rockin John, Sep 16, 2002.

1. The education authority in my neck of the woods puts on free music workshops for kids on a Saturday morning. Age range is 7 years to 19 years. They cover just about every imaginable thing pertaining to music.

I registered my lad and took him along for the first session this last weekend.

My lad's quite an accomplished (drum kit) drummer, even at the tender age of 7 years. He's been taking lessons since just past his 6th birthday and has his own full size kit.

Anyway, on the third session of the morning, the percussion tutor sorted everybody out onto various tuned and non-tuned percussion instruments. There would perhaps have been 30 kids - mainly teenagers - in a kind of ensamble. My lad was allocated the drum kit because he put his hand up when the guy asked whether anyone had had lessons on the kit.

So, here we have a 7 year old boy in totally 'foreign' surroundings, with people he'd never met, who'd got no idea what music he would play and who's sole responsiblity was the tempo of the ensamble.

Do you know, he was rock-solid: absolutely rock solid. The tutor came over at the end to say how well he'd done.

I was almost moved to tears.

Thass m' boy.

As a bassist it's great to have a drummer in the house.:cool: :cool:

John

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That really is too cool. I would have been proud too. 7 years, man - if I had been in that situation at 7, I'd have pissed my pants.

Do you jam with him?

3. I know what you mean RJ, when my son does particularly well (especially when he's worried that he can't) it really makes you swell with pride.

Go ahead and loosen that belt! :)

4. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I hope to someday have a kid of my own and either teach him/her whatever they want, ya know unless its like the tuba cause I dont know jack about those damn things.
    :D

5. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Just wanted to keep this on the front page a bit longer so people could read it.:D

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thats great RJ! I have twins at three months old and I can't wait for those type of experiences with them!

7. Yes, Oysterman, I've jammed with him many times.

Also, because of the lad-dad thing, he regards himself as a full member of his dad's band (and why not?). He's played on stage with us before, doing 3 daytime gigs. Mainly he's drumming alongside our drummer, but usually does 1 song on is own somewhere during the set. And when our drummer's not been able to make rehersal, my lad's stood in for him: that's happened 3 or 4 times this year.

Naturally he doesn't have the power and staminer of an adult. Nor, of course, does he have the mental capacity to interpret the music. But if you want a solid beat for Mustang Sally, Sunshine of your Love, etc, he's up to the task. Triplets, flam fills, funky bass drum /snare work, he does 'em all.

Loosen the belt? Loosen the wallet:eek: He's asked Santa for a double bass pedal and some splashes this year. His stuff's worth more than mine, already.....and that's the truth.

John

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Congratulations John. I too, have a promising drummer/son. He's 12 and I was invited over to a friend's house to jam around yesterday. He invited my son kind of as an after thought. There were a couple of casual drummers taking turns. When it came to my son's turn he started crankin and no one else would play after that. It is very rewarding.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that is very cool... i wish my parents supported me like that when i was a lil kid

10. John,

Good stuff! I know exactly how you feel. Having a son or daughter that is genuinely interested in something that you are passionate about (in this case, music), and who puts much effort into becoming better at it, is a fantastic feeling. As a papa, you can't help but feel pride when your little one shines, especially when in the company of older kids (adults too). I don't know about you, but I find that I am motivated to put more effort into my own playing when I see my girl play her bass. I think back to when I was her age, and I know I was nowhere near as accomplished a musician as she is today. The thought that these little ones are going to give us a run for our money keeps me on my toes.

X

11. Boys or girls?

12. I'm sorry to hear that John. But don't worry, he's only 7, this whole drumming thing is probably just a phase, it'll pass. Eventually he'll see the light and start plaing bass.

:D

13. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That must be cool to see your kid playing with older kids and/or adults and be able to keep up or possibly show up the other drummers. I can't wait for my four year old neice (sp?) to get a little older so I can start showing her some music. Congrats.

14. Hi Xavier, how are you? Yes, I remember you talking about your daughter and her bass playing. Glad she's doing nicely. But was it wise encouraging her on the bass? I mean, she'll be showing you a thing or two shortly:eek: and folks'll be saying, 'Yeh, her dad's OK but you wanna hear his daughter.....':eek: ;)

That's why, SpankBass, I never encouraged my lad on the strings. Only kidding, of course. He's had many a go on my bass and on a guitar. But he showed a genuine affinity for the drum kit so we went with it for him. He's into rythms in a big way tapping on everything with anything. His tutor's said he's well ahead of his years at the moment so, given practice, etc, he could get right to the top.

And, seriously, it is useful to have a drummer in the household.

Appreciate the kind wishes, guys.

John

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Nice one John - and to all the other proud bassist dad's!!!

I'm hoping my son - who will be 4 this year will take an interest in music, nd an instrument of some sort. He already like 'strummimg' my Spectors!!!!!

He's got this cute little electronic guitar (that my parents got him - yes it's noisy). You just hold down buttons and it plays pre-set riffs, but he grabs a plectrum, pretend strums it and poses his a** off!!! It's so cool!

16. wow John thats some skillz for as young as he is. but i bet he cant play a four hour gig:D .

my father is a guitar player, and i am a bass player and also a drummer. we used to jam constantly. but he isnt a bassist he can play it but he cant even put his pick down. i rag on him all the time about it. he had a band of english professors and the drummer moved to teach at penn state so i became the drummer. its a great feeling to play together(i quit the band when i droped out of highscool and moved away).

but hey you got it made your a bassist, and when he's older he will be a bada$$ if hes that talented at 7. the groove between bass and drumms is one of the greatest instrumental relationships. nothing better than to share that groove with your son.

~John

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That rules.

18. I loved your post. My kid is a drummer and doing very well without help from me - the bass player. Only thing is she is a girl. Now that couses some second looks.

Let those young kids go in the direction that the wind takes them. If you gave them a good foundation, they will make you proud.

19. My brother needs a drummer for his band.... :p

:D:D

Merls

20. Nope. 4 hour gigs are a bit beyond him. We played his school's summer fair a bit back. I guess we were on for about 45 minutes. After half an hour I realised there was ony one drummer playing. I turned around and there was my lad sitting behind his kit, head bowed. I went over and asked what was wrong. He was a bit tearful saying, 'Sorry, dad, but I can't play anymore. My arms ache too much.'

Brilliant. The lad got such applause at the end.

I guess he does have some talent. He's certainly amazed most who've seen him. They expect him - naturally enough, I guess - just to indiscriminately batter the kit. But to play it properly....

John