Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

He was using a Biesele

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jerry J, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was just down in Dallas, TX for work and got the chance to see a Blues guy by the name of Shawn Pittman. I specifically wanted to see them because Preston Hubbard, the bass player for the Fabulous Thunderbirds is Shawn's new bass player.

I don't know and didn't ask what make his bass was. It looked pretty old and beat but sounded good. It was hooked up with a Biesele pickup/ preamp and was the DP model.

Does anyone here use these? I did a search here on TB but found nothing. They seem to be a bit spendy but I could use my Bass Max into the preamp since it's got an input for a piezo or a mic.
    The only places that I could find on the web that carry these is Biesele or Hammond Ashley and they are the same price.

But if anyone could give me some info on these I'd appreciate it.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. I've had a Biesele on my bass since this past Christmas. It is easily the best pickup system i've ever heard. About 4 hours ago, I was at a gig in which the sonic temperment of the room shifted regularly (constant change in numbers and temperature). All it took was a diiferent blend with the Biesele and my sound was great! Also impressive was how friendly Clark Biesele is. I got a hold of him via email while I was researching pickups and he was extremely helpful, even after the purchase. Nice to see.

That's my two cents.

4. ...but to specifically answer your question. A second pickup or Mic is easily blended with the Biesele, to any degree you want. I also found out recently that one input in the preamp is hotter than the other, so you can work a bit easier with less sensitive things like mics (I tried an sm-58 with it and it was great!). Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it if you get a chance to try one, you'll see what I mean.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the info, Francois and Chad. I am saving up for one now. Are there any places that might be a bit cheaper? I've only found the Biesele available from Clark's website or from Hammond Ashley.