He who has the strangest tones in the world!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Has anyone ever heard Spock's Beard? I've been a big fan for a couple of years and I can't get over the sounds that Dave Meros comes up with. He's also really creative with all that movement. What do you guys think?
  2. Hmm--when I saw them open for Dream Theater back in 2000, I could barely hear him at all.
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've not seen much Star Trek, but I don't recall Spock ever having a beard... :confused:

Yeah, they have talked about before around here. See what a search on Spock's Beard turns up.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have most of their albums and the Live In Holland DVD. I like his sound live and in the studio, a nice distorted rick tone, but strange? No.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Les Claypool uses some weird tones often
  6. Percy Jones gets some wierd sounds by pulling the G string off the edge of the fingerboard.
    BTW: Spock may refer to Dr. Benjamin Spock, the pediatrician. I'm sure he had a beard! :D
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There is a local band in Pittsburgh, PA called "((Microwaves))" and their bassist has some strange (claypool esque at times) tone. The joy of multi effects processors.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    spock's beard might refer to the one episode of the old series where spock did in fact have a beard. mirror mirror, where they went to the parallel "evil" universe, spock had a bitchin' goatee happening.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I remember that! He looked like a Vulcan beatnik.
  10. i heard this hardcore band called Hopes Fall a while back, and their bassist had the strangest tone i've ever heard, it sounded like he was playing dead strings on a block of wood and putting a mic up to them.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Michael Manring and Doug Wimbish go into some strange places at times too. They come up with the coolest sounds.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member