Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head 450watts and Cab 300watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chucklez, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Chucklez

Chucklez

Oct 20, 2003
    Just wondering how much watts am I getting? as the thread title says "Head 450watts and Cab 300watts".

I would have gotten the 300watt head but they sent the store the 450watt head instead, for the same price so : o/

So, again...how much wattage am I getting? and is this ok to run? it won't be damging in anyway to run a higher watt head or anything?

to be more specific I got the UltraBass BX4500H 450W Head and the Hartke VX115 300W Cab

Thanks for any help !

2. The head is 450watts at 4 ohms

The cab is 8 Ohms

So the head will probably only be putting out about 300 watts at 8 ohms . . . this is NOT because the cab is rated at 300watts, the power rating on the cab is nothing to do with the wattage that you get.

3. Yup, and even if the head did put out 450 watts at 8 ohms, it would take some effort on your part, willful ignoring of speaker farting, to blow the speaker with that head.

Most people recommend using an amp with 1.5 to 2x the RMS wattage of the speaker. That way the amp can cleanly provide the "program" rating to the speaker, without clipping. Thus the speaker can get all it can handle.

Rnady

4. And when you get ready to add that 2x10 (8 ohm) cab (and you probably will) in the future, you'll have the full 450 watts out of the head because you'll now be running a 4 ohm load from the amp. Not a bad way to start..

Mag...

5. Chucklez

Chucklez

Oct 20, 2003
    Allllrighty !

Good info all of you, just wanted to say "thanks".:)