Head advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr.Death, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi, i play in a band, and we are soon to play some shows, to cut the story short, i want to trade in my 250W Laney combo for a head that i can take around and stick straight into a cab. I use a fender jazz with a fulltone bass driver 2, and need advice on appropriate makes and sizes of heads. I've had good experiences with behringer and especially trace's at previous gigs, but am at a loss as to what to get. The too guitarists both play through Marshall Valve states with a tele and an SG, so i need something to compliment the warm and bright sound. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys

2. My personal favourites of the moment are Ashdown - I have an ABM500 EVO head. Depending on your budget this might be possible for you! Alternatively, the Ashdown MAG series may be in your price range - although the highest output in that range is about 300 watts if I remember correctly!

If you liked the Trace Elliot stuff, then you'll probably like Ashdown - it's very much like Trace, but with added warmth! The General Manager was one of the Trace design team - this time it's all his company so he gets to do as he likes pretty much!

Other alternatives depending on price could be Peavey - you seem to get a lot of watts for your money. I've only ever usd a TNT combo - and that was OK!
  3. Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Yeah, i did use an ashdown once, but wasn't crazy about it. That "warmth" was just too deep for me - i seemed to lose all my tone :meh: - although i was told "DO NOT TOUCH THE EQ" and suspect this may have been the problem. I spent the whole gig feelin pissed about the sound. :mad:

Thanks for the input
  4. Here's something to think about. How about a rack setup? lots of power can be had for not much jing - you could easily get 1000 watts for $300 (used of course). Add an inexpensive preamp like a used ampeg svp-pro ($250ish) or even a DI box with tone controls (100 to 200 or so) and you have yourself a whale of a rig for pretty cheap.

5. Playing with someone elses tone is not good.

Seriously, if there in a shop near you go try them out - and see what you can get out of them for yourself! They can do a good Trace Elliot impression - and part way to Ampeg (well, the ABM range anyway!)

Happy hunting!
  6. Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Sounds good - would a tech21 di be any good - i was lookin at that anyway.

BTW, are valve heads any good for bass?

7. I have a Sansamp BDDI that I use in conjunction with my head/cabs. But ti would work just fine for DI ing into a PA if you know your venues will have a decent one!

Valve heads are good for bass, so are SS and so are hybrids.......it's all a matter of personal preference and budget available!

Sounds to me like you should go try out a bunch of amps with your bass - and see what you like!
  8. Testtubeboy

Mar 30, 2004
    I personally preffer the eden kinda sound. I love the clarity you get. It is really all about personal prefferance though