Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr.Death, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi, i play in a band, and we are soon to play some shows, to cut the story short, i want to trade in my 250W Laney combo for a head that i can take around and stick straight into a cab. I use a fender jazz with a fulltone bass driver 2, and need advice on appropriate makes and sizes of heads. I've had good experiences with behringer and especially trace's at previous gigs, but am at a loss as to what to get. The too guitarists both play through Marshall Valve states with a tele and an SG, so i need something to compliment the warm and bright sound. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

My personal favourites of the moment are Ashdown - I have an ABM500 EVO head. Depending on your budget this might be possible for you! Alternatively, the Ashdown MAG series may be in your price range - although the highest output in that range is about 300 watts if I remember correctly!

If you liked the Trace Elliot stuff, then you'll probably like Ashdown - it's very much like Trace, but with added warmth! The General Manager was one of the Trace design team - this time it's all his company so he gets to do as he likes pretty much!

Other alternatives depending on price could be Peavey - you seem to get a lot of watts for your money. I've only ever usd a TNT combo - and that was OK!

3. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Yeah, i did use an ashdown once, but wasn't crazy about it. That "warmth" was just too deep for me - i seemed to lose all my tone :meh: - although i was told "DO NOT TOUCH THE EQ" and suspect this may have been the problem. I spent the whole gig feelin pissed about the sound. :mad:

Thanks for the input

4. Here's something to think about. How about a rack setup? lots of power can be had for not much jing - you could easily get 1000 watts for $300 (used of course). Add an inexpensive preamp like a used ampeg svp-pro ($250ish) or even a DI box with tone controls (100 to 200 or so) and you have yourself a whale of a rig for pretty cheap.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Playing with someone elses tone is not good.

Seriously, if there in a shop near you go try them out - and see what you can get out of them for yourself! They can do a good Trace Elliot impression - and part way to Ampeg (well, the ABM range anyway!)

Happy hunting!

6. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Sounds good - would a tech21 di be any good - i was lookin at that anyway.

BTW, are valve heads any good for bass?
    :confused:

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I have a Sansamp BDDI that I use in conjunction with my head/cabs. But ti would work just fine for DI ing into a PA if you know your venues will have a decent one!

Valve heads are good for bass, so are SS and so are hybrids.......it's all a matter of personal preference and budget available!

Sounds to me like you should go try out a bunch of amps with your bass - and see what you like!

8. Testtubeboy

Testtubeboy

Mar 30, 2004
    Halifax
    I personally preffer the eden kinda sound. I love the clarity you get. It is really all about personal prefferance though