Head Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Feb 20, 2004.

1. ok ppl....very soon im looking to purchase a new head....ive chosen 3 which interest me very much and i just want some advice from the ppl who have played / own/ed one of these.

the first is an ampeg b-2r
    second a fender bassman 400
    thirdly a hartke ha5500

and ill definately be buying a hartke 4200cab or 4.5xl
    and i play a kubicki so im looking for a really versatile head which sounds good for tapping, slapping and the whole shebang

cheers heath
  2. If you care at all about volume then stay far far away from the b2r!
  3. atomic_turtle

Jun 22, 2003
    Dracut, MA
    I would have to agree with aeiou, I Just purchased one of those bad larry's, fortunately used but in hella good shape for $329.00 and I am a little dissapointed with the lack of volume it puts out. For an ampeg I expected more and I am glad I snagged a used one! In the meantime I'm looking for a QSC power amp and will use the B2r as a preamp.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'll third that...Ampeg tone great!!!! power output, unfortunately, weak.

Now that we've condemmed the Ampeg to a quiet existence, which one sounds best to you? If you like the B2Rs tone (and I love it) you can get more power in a more expensive, and large package...the B4R.
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I was either going to get a Hartke HA5500 or the HA4000. I went with the Hartke 4000 (solid state, 400 watts into 4 ohms).

It has a tube like warmth to it, built like a tank (unfortunatley weighs like one too...about 30 lbs.) and very simple in it's design.

Quite loud into a 4 ohm, 410 cab. I can get a wide variety of sound with it. I prefer a deep, full, warm, hi-fi tone...I cut the mids alot. But there is so much variety of tone with the 4000, there really isn't a tone you couldn't dial in. In fact it almost has TOO MUCH tonal variety. It takes awhile to adjust it to your taste. It sounded awful for the first half hour I played with it, until I got used to it's tonal variety.

It's a warm sounding amp, yet VERY clean. Through Hartke cabs I'm sure it will really give a clean sound. I play through a Peavey 410TXF (which has kind of a muffled lo-mid tone itself...but I can get it to sound great with the 4000 by the Parametric EQ).

I can't say enough about the 4000...a solid state amp that sounds more like a tube amp, but super clean. If you want to read the Bass Player review of the 4000, PM me and I'll share it with you.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Get the Hartke 5500! If not, then go for the Hartke 4000. Leave the Ampeg alone! I've been eyeballing that new Hartke 5500 head myself! The Fender Bassman 400 is a nice amp but the price is a little too high for me! The Hartke will give you 100w more for less than the Fender.
  7. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    The Hartke 5500 looks really nice. I'd really like to try one out.

I'll be looking for it. :ninja:
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Based on my experience with the 3500, I'd go for the Hartke. Given the tonal qualities of the amps you mention I suspect it would a good fit for you. No GK on the list ? I would think a used 700 would fill the bill pretty well in the same price range. I'll second and third all the Ampeg comments. B2R has nice tone but nobody gigging seems to hang on to them long.