Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, Feb 19, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I am in the market for a new amp head/cabinet configuration. I was looking at the Ashdown Mag 300 and either a 210 and 115 or 410 matching cabinet. I have spent hours in Guitar Center and Sam Ash playing whatever they have in my price range (hopefully under $700). What I like best was the Ampeg SVT350. I can find these for less than 400 on ebay, but somebody recommended to me to try to find the SVT200T head because it has essentially the same electronics with heat sinks instead of a fan and knobs for equalization. I found a guy who has one that he will sell me for $350, but I can't hear it before buying it. Also, if I buy an Ampeg head, i have heard that you have to use Ampeg cabinets to get them to sound best (this is the only way I have ever played them). I also just stumbled upon a thread about Markbass amps and I have never heard of these before and was wondering if someone could tell me where I can find them and how much they run. Other than that, I don't like the sounds I get from GK or even SWR; they sound great for slap and pop, but that is not usable in the music I play and I think their sound would get lost in a the rock and roll sound my band has. I currently have a Hartke 60 watt combo which is surprisingly loud and I do like the tone it produces. However, after just a couple years, it is already starting to crap out on me and I don't want to pop the money to repair because I need something bigger anyway. I fear buying another Hartke rig would result in more disappointment, though the 3500 sounds pretty good to me. Before anybody mentions the Behringer head, I want to say I have played it and hated it. I want a beefy low end but it also has to sing on the high notes and not come out muddy. I play an American Jazz and an American P-bass. If anybody has any advice on what to look for or where to look for it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just general advice. get a head that will put out at least 200 watts into 8 ohms. as far as tone goes, you should get a head that you like the flat sound of. don't judge them on the sound they have with any eq, and especially not with extreme eq.

3. Great advice!

My teacher uses an older EA head on his gigs and I love the tone of it. He runs it completely flat and it's a dream. I would love to have an iAMP 800!