Head and Cab Compatibility

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eBasser, Aug 5, 2022.

1. eBasser

eBasser

Aug 5, 2022
    I have a SVT3Pro:
    275 watts @ 8ohms
    450 watts @ 4ohms

and a Rumble 2x10
    700 watts (program)
    350 watts (continuous)

Anyone see any issues with this?

I realize I could add a cab to get more power, but that's potentially for a later date, but in the meantime I don't want to destroy anything.

Thanks in advance.
    eBasser

2. Impedance of the cab ?

HolmeBass likes this.
  3. Hey eBasser. Welcome to TB.

You're likely to get a lot of varying, and opposing opinions on this. So be prepared.
    The absolute Guru on this stuff is a guy called @agedhorse. Hopefully he'll pop in and give you the straight scoop.

Are you gigging or otherwise playing out with this rig?
    If so is it keeping up without distorting the speakers, aka farting out?

If you're just playing at home and or doing small coffee-house gigs where you can both keep levels low, and also be able to hear any signs of speaker distress, then you'll probably be OK.

You can't really gauge this very well just based on amp and cab power ratings. Some ratings aren't accurate, some just outright turd polish. You can easily get into an apples vs oranges situation. Though I think both Ampeg and Fender are better than a lot of others in this area. So this makes it important to listen to your speakers for anything that does not sound right. If that happens then back off on the volume.

If you do need to go bigger, your best bet is to add the second Rumble 2x10.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  4. Rumble 2x10 is 8 Ohms.

HolmeBass and DrThumpenstein like this.
  5. patrickhowell

patrickhowell Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Lynchburg, VA
    The Fender Rumble 210 is an 8 ohm cab with a max power handling of 350 watts RMS. The SVT-3 Pro puts out a max 275 watts RMS into 8 ohms, so this is a safe combination. It still may be possible to damage the speakers if you use high volume with extreme levels of low frequencies, so use your ears and common sense.

6. eBasser

eBasser

Aug 5, 2022
    First, I didn't expect to get replies this quick, so thanks all! Yeah, 8ohms is the 2x10.
    I have the Rumble 500 combo that I bought the rumble 2x10 cab to match it, but I have the american SVT3 pro that I've hung onto because I love it. I was thinking it would be kind of novel to run the Ampeg through the 2x10 and also run the R500 on a ABY switch to run them separately or together. The R500 is really light and clean, but it would be interesting to run the Ampeg with the 2x10 in certain situations (maybe with some effects).

Anyway, thanks for vote of confidence @patrickhowell. This confirms my hunch, but I figured I'd ask the forum before I make any detrimental mistakes and blow either my 2x10 cab or the worse, the Ampeg.

Cheers Talkbassers!
    Much appreciated!

Riff Ranger and smogg like this.
  7. If you like the Rumble sound then the 500 combo and 2x10 extension cab is the beez kneez. You could go R800 combo, but I don't think you be getting that much more bang for the buck, unless it were the stage modeling 800.
    With a bit of tecno-wizardry you could disconnect the amp in the combo and use the two cabs with the Ampeg. Don't recommend that as a DYI project unless you really know what your doing. Though an amp tech surely could do it properly. That being said you still can't A/B them, but at least you get an idea of how the Ampeg sounds with the two Rumble arrangement.
    If you're after tonal differences using different amps, maybe scout around for a higher powered 2x12 to go with Ampeg.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I don't see any problem with this. The 350 watts RMS rating of the Rumble is accurate IMO.

RColie likes this.
  9. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    What is the ohm rating of the cab? If it is an 8ohm can is ok. 4 ohm you have more available power from your amp than your cab can handle. Personally If that is a 4 ohm cab, I would not use that amp.

However surely there will be some posts about not turning up your amp or if you speakers fart, just turn down. Even with their good intention, that advice could very well lead to an expensive repair.

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I believe these cabinets are only available in 8 ohm.

11. eBasser

eBasser

Aug 5, 2022
    Yes, 8ohm. I got finger happy in my original post and didn't mention.

agedhorse likes this.
  12. eBasser

eBasser

Aug 5, 2022
    All,
    I gotta say, I've searched talkbass for years when researching basses, etc. This is my first time posting, and really am stoked with this community.
    Cheers all!
    Thank you - eBasser

13. You could always grab your multimeter and check the cab with a speaker cable plugged into it, whether it's the Speakon thing or the 1/4 TS. The manual (pages 6 & 7) for the SVT3 Pro rack head indicates the 2 TS jacks can be used as either for 8 Ohms or both in parallel for 4 Ohms minimum load. Who knows what the Speakon for the amp output is (4 Ohm maybe) ? But connected to the cabinet, you should still be able to verify the cab Ohm Impedance. When in doubt, always check, that way if the wording is confusing, you really know what it is or isn't based upon the multimeter readings. Are you using the Speakon cable or 1/4 TS ?

"21. SPEAKON® JACK: Use of this heavy-
    duty connector is recommended when
    playing at full output levels, due to
    its incredibly high current handling
    capability. Connect the amplifier to the
    speaker cabinet(s) using heavy gauge
    speaker cables, terminated with the
    appropriate connectors�
    The pin connections for this jack are:
    • 1+ = Positive
    • 1– = Negative"

"30. SPEAKER OUTPUTS: These mono,
    1/4" TS output jacks supply speaker-
    level power to the speaker cabinet(s)�
    The rated power output is 275 Watts
    RMS into 8 Ω ,or 450 Watts RMS into
    4 Ω.
    The two identical outputs are wired in
    parallel, and you can use either one, or
    use both� Make sure the total speaker
    impedance load is 4 Ω or greater. For
    example, you could connect:
    • Two 16 Ω speakers (an 8 Ω load),
    • Two 8 Ω speakers (a 4 Ω load)
    • One 4 Ω speaker
    Use only non-shielded speaker
    cables with 1/4" TS ends to make the
    connections� Do not use shielded
    instrument cables as they may overheat�
    We recommend using the Speakon
    jack [22] whenever playing at full
    output levels�"

In their example, that's not exhaustive. You could also plug in a single 8 Ohm cab, or a single 16 Ohm cab based up this "Make sure the total speaker impedance load is 4 Ω or greater."

https://ampeg.com/data/6/0a020a4143165f43e22fd7603/application/pdf/Owner’s Manual - English .pdf

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Don’t make it more complicated than it is.

The speaker outputs are parallel outs, the amp is rated at 275 watts rms into 8 ohms, the 210 cabinet is available 8 ohms only, therefore it’s not a problem.

15. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    You are on the safe side of 275 against 350.
    I doubt you'll be able run that amp maximum anyway as the sound will be horrible...but this also might disguise what is producing the sound..amp and/or cab
    To be sure, I'd also try and find out more on the chassis I would be doubting Rumbles use top speakers and that may not be helpful.

It wouldn't be possible to proove what the speaker went through either, so once you've blown something, there is no recourse.

16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Your amp outs out 275w. All day, every day.

Your speakers will handle up to 350w. All day, every day.

If you add another 210, your speakers will get less power. 225w. All day, every day.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    JACKSON JS1XM likes this.
  17. Perfect, great match! You’ll be getting 275 watts out of the amp, and unless you excessively boost the low end on your amp or your bass’s EQ (if it is an active bass) your cabinet will be fine. Crank it up!

18. 225 W per 8 ohm cabinet for a total of 450 W, which would be fine.