Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

head and cab mixing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by evilbob101, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Ok..It has been a long time since I have posted here. Feels good to be back.

I have a question for all you amp genius's out there. I Just bought a ampeg pb 112 enclosure-300W. I have a GK 250 head-125W @ 8 Ohms. Are these two items safe to match up. I am really lost when it comes to this sort of thing. Thanks amigos.

Also, I have the GK 410 BLX Cab. Can I connect the two amps together...if so how?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The wattage rating on a cabinet typically give an indication of the max power it will handle safely. (If I'm wrong about this, somneone will correct me)

So, if you have a cab rated at 300 watts, you don't necessarily need an amp with 300 watts. Your 125 watt amp will work, but you may struggle in loud situations. Not because you have a cab rated at 300 watts, but simply because 125 watts is not a lot of power for gigging with bass guitar.

Regarding your second question, is the GK 410 BLX a cabinet or a combo amp? Your description says Cab, but the next sentence says "Can I connect the two amps together...if so how?"

If it's an amp, the answer is no (not easily). If it's just a cab, you can run them both from your amp if you have two outputs, but again, your amp is probably not powerful enough for two cabinets. Try it and see.

jd

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    No, you can't. The GK head only runs @ 8 ohms, and the Ampeg is a 4 ohm cab. You can only use a 8 ohm cabinet with that GK Head.

4. What does that mean in laymens terms. So I have got one yes...and one no so far. I played the ampeg with the GK head earlier...I didn't hear any problems, then again, seeing is believing, so I could be doing wrong here. Help!

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would write to GK and ask them about it. Many amps will handle 8 ohm or 4 ohm loads, but not all. The manufacturer can tell you best.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is this the Backline head you're talking about? If so, it's 125w @ 8 ohms only!