1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

head and cab plz help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassking511, Mar 31, 2006.

1. i've been looking to upgrade to a real bass amp for some time but like most people( even a 15 yr old who is really into music) $$$$$ is a major issue.......... unfortunately ive had to use a 1sw crate keyboard amp:crying: . This is really cramping my style and i feel like im not benefitting and learning with such inferior power and tone. i got an offer from my music teacher's bass player from his band for a carvin cab. it's a 2x 15" and is probly 3-4 years old but only light use in a practice studio. i've been told by my teacher that he guesses it can probably handle about 350-400w but he is not sure. i don't know what model it, but i've been informed that the speakers are all urgrade, not stock so the wattage could be possibly different.The offer was $150 and it's in excellent condition..he basically is giving it away because..."it doesn't meet my requirements anymore", this ics coming from a man who settles for nothing less than absolute best.

:help:
    also im on a slight budget...im hoping to fing a reliable head that is no more than 400 bucks (hopefully) that with go good with the previously mentioned cab. i've looked around and heads in the 300-400 dollar range and from 200-450 watts.i was wondering if anyone knew of a good sounding reliable amp head that matches this criteria. also..i have an
    ibanez gsr 200( if that will help)

please help me if you can..i've would really appreciate a responce many,many, many many thanks:) :) :) :) :) :help:

----------basking511:bassist:

2. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    For the price range I'd look for an ashdown 300h head.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Or a used GK 400RB-III. They're on the used market all of the time now, and they are great, great heads. Could find one for $300 or less.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I sometimes play an ibanez gsr200 at church, sounds great with the band!! :hyper:

speaking from personal experience a good deal on an Eden WT300 (10+yr old amp) would be a great starter amp (around $400-450). I also had a SWR Bass 350 (silver face, pre x) you might be able to get one for about $350. I'd lean towards the eden personally...

I don't know what to say on the speakers. maybe ask again after you get an amp. then try them out together...

5. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    The best way is just do a price search on music123.com or musiciansfriend.com for bass heads in that price range. other wise, chech out the GK backline 600, ashdown 300h, ampeg B1Re, fender bass man 250...uh thats all i know of

good luck

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would say the Ashdown Mag 300 or a GK Backline 600.

Look for used Carvin RedLine stuff. You can find them cheap used. They have a lot of detractors in TalkBass about their tone but they seem to be solid reliable heads.

7. I own, and can highly recommend the Ashdown Mag300 head. ;)

It's very nice.