Head and cab

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by philwill1, Jan 24, 2003.

1. philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    okay here is my question.
    I've been playing a crate bx 100 and now I'm ready to move to a head and cab and don't know what i'm doing. I thought about getting a ampeg b2r and avatar 410 4 ohm. would this be compatible or A) this head is not strong enough for the cab and would not work effiently or B.) this cab is too weak for this head and would blow up if you turned it past 5 or something like that. I need good volume but I want good tone and still have headroom in case i have to turn it in. We play mostly small church gigs usually 100 people and less. My guitarist at the present time has a fender 60 watt single 12' speaker and can drown me whenever he wants. My crate can get loud enough but it farts whenever I crank it past 5 which is most of the time that we really get into the spirit. Oh yeah I have a drummer who plays like he's beating his wife.
    So I need something with good tone and enought volume to be heard but not kill the people in the first 2 rows. If you have any other recommendations other than these please feel free to comment. Oh yeah unfortunately my budget is 1000 or less (no over) wife will kill me.