Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head and Cabinet suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kappuccettoross, Apr 1, 2005.

1. kappuccettoross

kappuccettoross

Jan 31, 2005
    Hi guys, I want to ask you all a thing: what do you think could be the "best couple" of Head Amp and Cabinet to amplify (not under 350 W) both upright and electric bass?
    I mean that I just would like an amplification system which could be used with both my two instruments, however obtaining a very good sound by upright and electric....
    Can you suggest me some "best configurations"?
    Thanks for your answers
    PIETRO, ITALY

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I really like my EA iAMP 800...it's the Combo, but you could use any number of cabs with the head. It's just a painless way of getting great sound from my DB, and when I do the occasional electric gig , it gets the job done very nicely.

3. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Kapp -

I think the iamp with the cxl112 is great, though I haven't tried it with any other cabs. EB sounds great through the iamp, though it does take a little tone adjusting. What I usually do is find a tone that I like for the EB and bypass the eq when playing DB. With all the tone options on the iamp, I still think my DB sounds best flat.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There are a lot of combinations that I like, but an iAMP 800 with one or two Wizzy's is right up there...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Walter Woods Ultra (or iAMP 800) with two VL-208's is another one...

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If you're willing to go for a small rack setup that is fairly affordable-here's what i use/would use. SansAmp RPM-to me, it is voiced better for upright than the RBI-it could just be me, my cabs, and my bass-i don't know. Carvin Poweramp [take your choice of wattage]. Avatar either 2X12 or 1X12.

If you read my thread on the "how much amp for college?" it says more of what i think of this setup. Here's a tidbit. That setup has more power than i will ever need. I like to run 2 pres so that i have a dedicated BG pre and a dedicated DB pre. That's just me though. that's all

7. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I run an Ampeg SVT pro4 head (1600W) into a 1970's ampeg 4X10 (they had much less of a midrange scoop at that time.) It's heavy, it's a little cumbersome, but it's loud, crystal clear and really carries a thick honest punch. Even at high volumes i have little trouble with feedback, and the tone is always true to my bass. I do not play electric, but i have some friends who swear by the same tig for their slabs.

I do play in a 10 piece rock band, so my power needs may seem excessive to some. But I get compliments on the tone all the time.

K.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Are you set on a head and cab? There are some great combo's out there...
    I use an swr super redhead a lot...

9. Chris Rhoades

Chris Rhoades

Sep 19, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Endorcing Artist:BNA Audio, Boothill bass strings.
    Im using ashdown stuff right, great stuff. it's not cheep but really nice. For upright i recommend the Evo II and a 4x10 or a 15. Im using a 15 right now and love it, i know its what everyone says not to do but it sounds great, punch and clear but deap as can be.

10. ajb2804

ajb2804

Apr 30, 2005
    AZ
    I would like to suggest trying a Fishman Pro EQ Platinum Bass Preamp/DI with the power amp.I just got one and it works fantastic!Also great on electric when you want to bypass a "questionable ",house amp!However, the most natural sound I've ever heard from my double bass was when I plugged into a WalterWoods head and a euphonic audio cab that belonged to an instructer of mine.

11. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Another biased Aguilar plug.

Their 112 cabinet is great for both basses. Coupled with a DB750 tube head, or AG500SC it sounds great. I've owned both. The Ag500 is 90% of the tone at less than half the price, and at one-third of the weight, though the 750 does that tube thing that only tubes can do.

bk