Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head as a Pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hofbrauhaus, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Hey everyone...quick question. I have a Genz-Benz GBE400 head which I currently run through a GB 2X10 XB cab (350 watts at 4 ohms). I am looking to add either another 2X10 or 1X15 to this setup to complete the rig, but I think I am going to want more power than my head can provide (I'd end up with 450 watts rms when the speakers together will be capable of taking around 700-800 watts rms). Therefore, I would like to get a good old QSC poweramp to provide the extra power I want, but my funds won't allow me to get a preamp (I love how my head sounds anyway). So my question is...is it possible to use my head as my preamp? And if so...how would I hook the head up to the QSC in order to do this? Thanks!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    connect the line out/preamp out/FX send with the QSC

3. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    The line out and FX send are both pre-eq, so how would this allow me to use the head as a preamp if I can't even use the eq section to tweak my signal before it reaches the QSC? Sorry if I'm missing something, but I'm a sax player and do bass on the side! :bassist:

4. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Anyone else? If not I'll just have to try to do a google search or ask one of the guys at bass central, lol

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've never seen an amp whose line out is pre-EQ only...

[EDIT] According to the manual you can use the DI out with the post-EQ setting.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

According to the manual you can use the DI out with the post-EQ setting.

The manual also specs a nominal DI output of -10dB, maybe not enough to fully drive a QSC. I'd have someone measure the output of the DI before investing in a power amp.

7. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Thanks, the line out will work as long as it can drive the qsc...it's only the fx send that is pre-eq. My bad, thanks for the help!