1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Head/Cab compatibility question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blenderhead, Jan 14, 2012.

1. When it comes to amps, I don't really know what I'm doing. I own a little practice combo but that's it. I've been lucky in that every gig I've played a rig was provided. I want to have my own though, just so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I was at a rehearsal studio today and really liked the set up they had there. My band has gone there a lot and I've gotten to fiddle with a decent variety of amps. I've come to like the sound I can get from GK and Ampeg. So what I wanted to ask was: Can I run a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II into a Ampeg SVT-210AV Micro?

I know I might get told to search or refer to the Ohms thread. I'll be honest, I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding the whole concept and so I thought I'd just make a thread to ask. Thanks in advance :bag:

2. Yes.

As long as you don't run below the amp's minimum impedance you can mix and match however you like.

3. nouroog

nouroog

Jan 14, 2010
    Paris, France
    The GK 700RB-II delivers 320W @8ohm.
    The SVT 210AV is a 200W 8ohm cab. There would be no impedance mismatch but you'd have to be careful not to blow the cab. I would say another cab handling more power would be a better choice.
    As for impedance matching with SS heads, check the stickies.
    With the GK you can go with one 8 ohm cab, running the head at 320W (SVT 410HE for instance), or two 8 ohms cabs running the head at full power 480 W at its lowest 4ohms impedance. Same with one 4 ohm cab.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 the pairing will work, but you will need to listen to the speakers for any signs of stress. The amp, (and every amp) is capable of damaging the spkrs. Go easy on the low eq and watch the volume, all will be well.