Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head/cab matchup confusion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Alright...I've been online amp browsing. For now I'm looking at an Ampeg SVT 4-PRO head. This is what the Ampeg site says about its power:

RMS Power Output (2 ohms) : 600 x 2
    RMS Power Output (4 ohms) : 490 x 2/1200
    RMS Power Output (8 ohms) : 300 x 2/900

Now for cabs, that's still up in the air. With an 8x10 (4 ohms) would it be possible for me to get the 1,200 watts out of it if the head was run in bridged mono? Or would I only get 490?

With a 4x10 and 15 setup (both 8 ohm cabs), I'd have to run the head at 4 ohms, correct? Now would each cab get 490 watts? Also, the SVT15E cab is rated 400 watts program...if I did run the 490 through it, nothing bad SHOULD happen correct?

Thanks a lot, I'm just very confused.

BTW...post 900!

2. Nomadic..I tihn kyou have the same plans as me here. I have a similar post because I have will be running two 8 ohm Ampeg SVT cabs later and question what head to use...as I found out in my other post if you run the 8 ohm cabs out of each channel then you will only get 300 to each.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    With one 4Ohm cab you will get 1200W in bridged mode. You can also run two 8Ohms cabs in bridged mode (if you daisy-chain them), than each one will see 600W.
    Or you run them in stereo mode, each one will see 300W.
    Matthias