Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head/cab or combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krazy_olie, Oct 23, 2004.

1. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I'm quite a newbie to amps, and i wan't to get a new setup so i can play with a drummer and small gigs, should i be looking at a Head/ cab set up or a combo, budet is £300 MAX, any recommendations?

2. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    First of all welcome to TB! :D

Really could do with a bit more information, such as will there be PA support?

Really for a newbie, I would advise getting a combo, such as a Marshall or Laney. For small venues (Pubs, clubs) you can get away with a combo with about 100 - 200 watts RMS. As to which one then you have to find out what you like as an individual! I will alway back Marshall, they have fantastic customer supprt if anything goes wrong and they do make exceedingly good amps! ;)

If the venues get much bigger and you find yourself struggling to compete with the drummer and I take it the guitarist the it would be time to consider getting a Head / Cab.

I take it your a newbie to the website as well, if so there is this great function at the top of this page which allows you to search the forums for previous responses to questions like this!

Good luck on your search!