Head/Cab question (Hartke related)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by low end 76, Jul 22, 2013.

1. low end 76

low end 76

Jun 25, 2013
    Hello, Can a Hartke HA5000 head be used with a single 4X10 Hartke Transporter cab?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes.

3. low end 76

low end 76

Jun 25, 2013
    So rather than start another thread, I will ask a few more questions here.

Recently my 3500 head failed after 9 years of use with no issues at all. Today, I purchased a VX3500 used on Craigslist that has 2 (of four) blown speakers. I pretty much bought it for the head as a backup while mine is being repaired by a friend.

My first question is, the output on the head from the VX setup has a single 4 ohm output. My original 3500 head has two 8 ohm outputs. Can this head be used with a transporter cabinet without damage being caused to the head or the cabinet? I do not know much about impedance and how that works with cabinets and heads.

My second question relates to the first, could the combination I was using (3500 head and transporter cab) have caused my amp to fail originally? I wouldn't think so since I used that combination for 9 years but I do not know. Maybe I was just cranking it too loud, I believe it was on 6 when it failed.

thanks
    Low End 76

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Read the faq's and stickies to understand how bass gear works. A 4 ohm MINIMUM head can operate with any impedance that is not LESS than the minimum. So, 4 ohm head is good with 4, 8, 16, 32, etc. Less power is produced, but no harm.

Don't use the cab with 2 blown spkrs, as you don't know the impedance, and you *could* hurt your amp, and/or the other 2 spkrs.

The position of the volume knob is not an indicator of how much power you're using. Everything from your bass, any pedals, and all the eq knobs on the amp, all play a part. There's no way to determine how hard you're pushing an amp by the dial position.

Hope some of this helps, but like I said, spend some time with the stickies and faq's. Lots of good info there. Good luck.