Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

head/cab recommendations for reggae?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevjot, Sep 22, 2003.

1. kevjot

kevjot

Sep 22, 2003
    I've been out of the loop on the latest gear for a 6-7 years and I am now in need of a new head and cabinet(s). I am playing reggae so the sound I need is a big, full but defined low-end. No distortion. No slapping.

I'm am currently thinking about 400W minimum and two 15's.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin

Fire Corner: http://firecorner.net

2. BAG END BAG END S15B-D + S15-D or S15 CUS

Don't know what what amp, though. I suppose an MB 400+ would be good.

Sean

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Reggae? Try the Ampeg SVT-CL with the 410 HLF. I got my 410 for $300 used. The head is kind of expensive but it would certainly work in that genre. :bassist:

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    SVTs have long been the amp of choice for reggae bassists.

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    True but I recently saw a DVD I think it was the best of the Whistle Stop. They had Bob and the Wailers on for one tune and I noticed Family Man using an Acoustic 360. :oops: Either way Family Man rules (in reggae!) :bassist:

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I absolutely adore the huge and deep yet tight and controlled sound I get from my two Acme Low-B2s for reggae - so much more bottom end than most bass cabs. One Acme Low-B4 will get you the same sound if you don't mind moving a (fairly light) 4x10" for about $700 new. Get a nice big power amp (QSC PLX and loud and light) and an Alembic or Kern preamp and you're all set for massive tubey lows.

Alex

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I agree alex but I found the sound of the Acmes not to my liking. In a very loud reggae setting even a B4 may not cut it. I just like the no frills of the SVT because I know it can get as loud as I need it to. Also I found that the Acme sounded dry (although as you said with a LOT of bottom) I like the way the SVT imparts character like slightly distorted transients.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A more accurate comparison would be two B4's vs one SVT810 (i.e. eight 10" speakers in each stack). To get big bottom end with Ampeg 8x10"s you have to really crank the bass knob thus losing the small efficiency advantage (two B4s would be over 99dB@1W1m, what's an Ampeg 8x10"?) whilst with Acmes you can leave everything flat, so I really doubt that the Ampeg's maximum volume would be any greater (in a reggae situation that is - if you want loud rocking low mids the Ampeg will blow almost anything away).

FYI Family Man currently uses Eden amps and Eden XLT cabs.

Alex

9. If you're working with a big budget, look into an Accugroove cabinet. They have a 21 inch speaker cabinet that must do reggae just. If not, get a 1990's version Mesa 2x15 and install some Kappa Pro speakers and you should be creating a beautiful earthquake.