Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head/Cab Set-Up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJS, May 14, 2002.

1. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    I've decided to invest a little in actual separates as opposed to a really good combo. After listening to a few set-ups, I just like the sound and flexibility of a Head/Cab set-up better.
    I'll be using a 4-string bass. It will probably be at least a year before I go 5-string. Here's the question:
    Is my best bet to go for the head and a 4X10 cab, and then add on a 1X15 down the road when I need it? Or would the best bet be the head & 2X10 + 1X15 set-up, and then add an extra 2X10 cab later if I need it?
    I know everybody's preferences are different, but I'm just looking for some general advice/tips/experiences. There's a lot of good ideas out there, but I'm not much of an amp/cab expert having only used combos before (and not very good ones either) :p
    Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

RJS

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Right now I am using a Mesa Diesel 2x10 and 1x15 and am finally happy with my cabinet situation. The portability was a HUGE deciding factor for me (getting a tad older:mad: ). I think as a stand alone the 2x10 sounds better unless the volume is cranked then the edge goes to the 1x15 BUT both of them together sound very full and powerful. If portability isn't as much of an issue go with a 4x10 that you like and you may never find the need for the 1x15....it's definitely a preference thing.
    I'm in a loud metal band and my cabinets with 1000 watts of power are not even breaking a sweat keeping up with 2 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stacks and a very hard hitting drummer so I don't think I'll ever have the need for another 2x10 (not that I won't get one "just because" :) )
    Not much help but my opinion is.........the 2x10 and 1x15 is the way to go. I think it is a great for tone, volume and portability....not even a real compromise.