1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head & Cab - trying to narrow the field

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMp'D.2play, Sep 27, 2010.

1. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I'm slowly making the transition from a pure hobbyist to where I'm jamming with others and will start looking for gigs. Small stuff; at 51 y.o., I have no delusions of grandeur. I enjoy playing a wide variety of music: Motown, Beatles, classic 70's rock, Squeeze, The Clash, U2 (boy, is that easy), STP, NIN. Heavy metal, or anything that contains the words core, thrash, or death, does not appeal to me.

I'm currently playing a Lakland 44-02 through an Acoustic B20 practice amp. Obviously, the amp won't cut playing in public.

I've been browsing the classifieds here, and checked out some stuff at the large chain stores. For now, though, I'd like to limit my search to the inventory at a small store near me where I bought my Lakland. The owner & staff have been very helpful, which I've appreciated. He has used, new, & NOS stuff.

This past weekend, I brought my bass and was able to eliminate a few options already. My budget is ~ $1k-1500, but can push it further if I feel I'm getting more value. The one thing I'd like as a concession to age, is something on the light side (but see below*).

I played 3 or 4 heads through an Aguilar GS212, and so far like an Ampeg B2-RE the best. Then I played this head through several cabs, and liked the GS212 and a Bergantino HT322 (*it sounded awesome to my ears, but weighs 95ish lbs). I thought I'd like 2 SWR heads based on reviews, but hated them.

Here is where I'd like some assistance. Other heads I haven't yet tried, but wish to: Aguilar AG500, Ampeg SVT Classic, SVT III Pro, & PortaBass 800, Eden WTX260, Hartke 3500, and a Traynor YBA200.

There's an Eden XLT210 cab, an EA VL210, and some AccuGroove cabs (which would push my budget higher, but based on reviews I definitely will give them a go ... and neo makes them lighter). Compared to the sound from the GS212 & HT322, single woofer cabs haven't won me over.

To conclude this lengthy post, are there any items I should definitely avoid, or any amp/cab parings listed that don't make sense (other than Ohm compatibility, which the shop owner has covered)? Based on searches & reviews, I have certain leanings, but as a newb, I'd like some input from those in the know. Thanks!

2. Personally I love the Eden210XLT cab, but it's not going to have as much mojo as a good 212, although it is pretty light and very bassy/deep. The Eden WTX-260, not so much, I would not consider that as a possibility. I am looking to replace mine with a Genz Benz 6.0 (shuttle or shuttle MAX, if I can find out if there is a difference in their respective HPF values/slopes) or a LMIII. I would recommend trying a GB amp or two with your cabinet of choice.

3. Get a Mesa Walkabout.

I went from a Ampeg combo, to an SVT-3, to a all tube Peavey VB-2, to a Little Mark III, to the Walkabout.

Now I'm done buying amps.

My opinion of course, but there are 3 mega threads with nothing but praise for the Walkabout on here for a reason!

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I must agree, a Mesa Walkabout (head only) through your favorite 2x12 will be a thing of utter beauty. Pure, sweet bass tone, no gimmicks. Read the mega-thread.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021