1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head+Cab wattage Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jwaites105, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Jwaites105

Jwaites105

Oct 27, 2010
  2. That Orange head has switchable impedance, meaning even at 8ohms it's still running 500W. You're trying to put 500W into a 200W cab. It'll be an issue. You might look into a higher power cab, or that Ampeg Micro VT thing that's made for those cabs.

Generally you want the cab to handle as much or more power than the head puts out.

3. Jwaites105

Jwaites105

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks a lot !

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    yeah, i'd have to agree. you can make it work if you're careful with the volume and bass boosts, but it's a recipe for blowing a cab if you're not careful.

5. Jwaites105

Jwaites105

Oct 27, 2010
    Now I need to find a nice 400-500 watt cab within my budget :meh:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    used market is overflowing with them. good ones, too.

7. Jwaites105

Jwaites105

Oct 27, 2010
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    again, not if you're careful with the volume. but i say better safe than sorry so yeah, that's about right. have not tried the ashdown but the hartke rocks.

9. Jwaites105

Jwaites105

Oct 27, 2010
    Sweet i'm unfamiliar with Hartke but iv'e heard nothing but good about them, the lightweight appeal of the Hartke would also be really helpful, thanks a lot.

10. Does the UK not have craigslist?

11. Jwaites105

Jwaites105

Oct 27, 2010
    Nope no Craigslist here, some good online stores though.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's why they invented the volume control. If the cab makes distressful noises turn it down.

Not at all. This is explained ad nauseum in the FAQs.
    Cab power ratings are rather moot, if not downright spurious. A simple rule: If one cab isn't loud enough, use two.

13. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    so let's say I have two 8-ohm cabs rated at 300-watts each, and my amp puts out 500 watts @ 4 ohms. am i at risk of overpowering/damaging the cabs if i run both? or would the amp be putting 250 watts to each cab?

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Read the FAQ, read the FAQ, read the FAQ....:crying:
    The amp would only put 250 watts into each cab if run at full volume. Chances are the speakers will be farting out like the campfire scene from 'Blazing Saddles' at no more than half power. That's generally sufficient warning to turn the amp down.

15. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    sorry dude, i thought asking a simple question about head+cab wattage in a thread called "head+cab wattage" would be acceptable.

16. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    But I read the FAQ and now I am a little bit smarter. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction.