1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head cabinet builder in SoCal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paganjack, May 26, 2011.

1. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    So I built this head cabinet for my Buster about a year ago and the tiny imperfections are starting to bother me (oh-so slightly crooked on one side, some imperfect tolexing). It's probably about 20 lbs heavier than it needs to be and I wonder how well it's actually absorbing vibrations, etc. It could use a better tube guard too.

It's mostly little stuff, but I'm going to start gigging this amp a lot more (probably going to use it for both guitar and bass!) and I want to make sure it will be as well made as possible. I think the Buster is kind of an unusual size but I haven't measured it in a while so I don't recall exactly.

So...can anyone recommend someone in southern California that could build me a perfect head cabinet? Or does anyone have experience from other builders out-of-state? I'd like to keep it under $200-300 ideally.

2. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try giving Ron Anchak a call.

He's in Palm Springs, and is authorized to build fEARful and BFM cabs. I don't know if he does head cabs, but you could ask.

Contact/Anchak Audio Works

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! I'm going to contact him.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Why not just contact M/B, they used to make a head version of the Buster and may still have some cabs around or could make one for you.

5. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why did I never think of that? I'm going to call them (since they don't have an email listed on their site).

6. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys! I've sent out a few feelers to see what this is going to work out to. I'm excited to get this head looking super clean!

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Let us know what Mesa says.

9. bassclef29

bassclef29

May 30, 2005
    Hello,

A few years ago (2004 or 2005) I owned a Buster combo. I had a separate head cabinet fabricated by a company called J Design Cabinets ( J Design Guitar Cabinets )

Jeff ("J") did a great job. He may still have the measurements/templates and be ready to make another.

Jeff used actual Mesa/Boogie black tolex to cover the hardwood. Built straight and solid, just as if Mesa/Boogie had made it. Looked great, too.

I gave up on all-tube bass amps in 2009 and sold the Buster head in the J Design cabinet to a very pleased buyer. Kept the 2x10 speaker cabinet.

J Design is in northern California, but this may work for you.

Best of luck,
    --Joe in San Diego, CA

10. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mesa is only open M-Th, but I've contacted everyone else mentioned. I think I'll have some good options to consider next week! Thanks all!

11. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mesa had no information about this amp, so they said. Kind of a bummer there. J from JDesign is going to build me a nice new cab as soon as I get all the specs measured up! I'll post photos in a month or so when it's done!

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I had a few cabs made for me by this fellow:

(Scott) Miyako Designs

Long Beach area, unless he's relocated. Excellent workmanship!

13. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those are really cool looking cabs!

14. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

Got my head cab back from JDesign cabs, he did an AWESOME job. It's built far better than I could do, and looks super sweet. I didn't even think that it would match my P-bass until it arrived. Is it weird that it seems to sound better now? :ninja: