1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Head/Cabinet set up question(s)...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slider_99, Jun 2, 2004.

1. slider_99

slider_99

Sep 10, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Hi all,

Although I've been playing bass for a couple of years I've only had to deal with combo amps up until now. So setting up a head and cabinet(s) in all new to me, so if anyone can help me with some basics I'd greatly appreciate it..

Picked up an Ampeg B2R at a great price so now I'm trying to figure out what to use for a cabinet(s)?? The whole 4ohm / 8ohm deal is making me second guess myself. Should I buy a 4x10 4 ohm cab or a 1x15 and a 2x10 stack? But will I lose wattage with the two cabs?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated....

If it helps, my band plays mostly rock-n-roll along the lines of Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, etc...

Thanks.

2. Personally, I would go with 2 8-ohm cabs. Technically, you would have the same amount of power as the 4-ohm cab, but you might actually seem louder with the 2 8-ohm cabs. Not only that, but you could bring one or the other, intead of always having to bring the 410. I have a 210/115 Avatar set up an I love it. I haven't used a 410, but I hear they sound good. You will have to try out the cabs and see what sounds you like. If you were kinda hell bent on a 410, you could do a 410/115 stack. Anywho, the combinations are seemingly endless.

Also, do a search. Im sure you would have found something of use.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    What you use for a cabinet is up to you. For rock, I gotta give my vote to 10" speakers. A 4x10 is a good place to start. Depending on the size of gigs you have, a 6x10 would be nice to. You should try as many brands/sizes/combinations as you can. You may like 15s. I've seen a lot of great sounding 2x10, 1x15 setups. I wouldn't go any larger than 15" for what you're playing, though, but that's just IMHO.

From the Ampeg site...
    B-2R
    RMS Power Output (2 ohms): n/a
    RMS Power Output (4 ohms): 350 Watts
    RMS Power Output (8 ohms): 200 Watts

As you can see, a 4 Ohm load is the way to go.

:) A search will help you find info on anything you need.

4. slider_99

slider_99

Sep 10, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks! I'll have to try out a few setups to see what sounds best.