Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head/Cabinet set up question(s)...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slider_99, Jun 2, 2004.

1. slider_99

slider_99

Sep 10, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Hi all,

Although I've been playing bass for a couple of years I've only had to deal with combo amps up until now. So setting up a head and cabinet(s) in all new to me, so if anyone can help me with some basics I'd greatly appreciate it..

Picked up an Ampeg B2R at a great price so now I'm trying to figure out what to use for a cabinet(s)?? The whole 4ohm / 8ohm deal is making me second guess myself. Should I buy a 4x10 4 ohm cab or a 1x15 and a 2x10 stack? But will I lose wattage with the two cabs?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated....

If it helps, my band plays mostly rock-n-roll along the lines of Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, etc...

Thanks.

2. Personally, I would go with 2 8-ohm cabs. Technically, you would have the same amount of power as the 4-ohm cab, but you might actually seem louder with the 2 8-ohm cabs. Not only that, but you could bring one or the other, intead of always having to bring the 410. I have a 210/115 Avatar set up an I love it. I haven't used a 410, but I hear they sound good. You will have to try out the cabs and see what sounds you like. If you were kinda hell bent on a 410, you could do a 410/115 stack. Anywho, the combinations are seemingly endless.

Also, do a search. Im sure you would have found something of use.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    What you use for a cabinet is up to you. For rock, I gotta give my vote to 10" speakers. A 4x10 is a good place to start. Depending on the size of gigs you have, a 6x10 would be nice to. You should try as many brands/sizes/combinations as you can. You may like 15s. I've seen a lot of great sounding 2x10, 1x15 setups. I wouldn't go any larger than 15" for what you're playing, though, but that's just IMHO.

From the Ampeg site...
    B-2R
    RMS Power Output (2 ohms): n/a
    RMS Power Output (4 ohms): 350 Watts
    RMS Power Output (8 ohms): 200 Watts

As you can see, a 4 Ohm load is the way to go.

:) A search will help you find info on anything you need.

4. slider_99

slider_99

Sep 10, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks! I'll have to try out a few setups to see what sounds best.