Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head DI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Does anyone use the DI on their head (In particular, a GK1001 or the like)
    Thanks,
    Wes

2. I always use the DI from my Eden Metro which makes things a lot easier for sound guys. They just plug in and go!

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The reason I am asking is because I have been using the Tech 21 BDDI, but its just another thing to carry around...

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I use the DI on my Mesa M-2000 because I set the 2 preamps differently (1 for slap, 1 for finger, mix mode for effects). I want all of it to go to the house, and it's easier not having to deal with another mike on stage..

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have an older SWR Electric Blue head and use the direct out on it. The sound guy loves it. But he really digs the direct out of the G/K 700rb-- says it's clear, punchy and easy to work with on the board. Both amps can go pre- or post EQ and both have line level controls.

6. I always use the DI on my RB1001. I set it for "pre" and usually run the DI level at 12 o'clock. Basically, I run a rack preamp and compressor into my GK with the tone I want to go to the PA, then use the GK's preamp to try ant match that sound for my cabs.

7. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I use the DI from my 1001RB and 700RB with great results.

As was mentioned, I also set it to pre and put the level at about 12:00.

I carry the SABDDI as a back-up.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My soundman prefers the DI out of my Eden Navigator pre, but on rare occassion there's a bit of ground noise that the ground lift switches can't totally erradicate. In those cases I go straight through a quality DI box like my Radial JDI.

I always go straight through the JDI with my electric upright, though. It sounds best out front when its clean and dry.

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks guys. It looks like I will try pre at 12 o'clock then.
    Wes