Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head East

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eclayton, Jul 5, 2001.

1. eclayton

eclayton

Jan 14, 2001
    Just wondering if anyone knew the tab for a Head East song called,
    "Never Been any Reason". Cool song from the 70's , but I can't find any tabs for it anywhere.

2. Sorry I can`t help.I was looking for it too the other day. :( Great song though!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In the 70's they used to play the same place my band played, the Collinsville Ballroom in Illinois. I was looking for some info on them when I was going back to St. Louis for a date and one of the fan sites had some guitar tabs to a few of their songs, (of course, "Never Been Any Reason" incl.).

The way Birney's bass was so up front in the "Flat as a Pancake" mix, it shouldn't be hard to comp if you took the time.

4. eclayton

eclayton

Jan 14, 2001
    thank you for your replies. sux that nobody can find there music.
    thanks again.

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    My oldies band plays this song. It's a fun bass part. My suggestion is to sit down with a copy of the tune and learn it by ear. It's not too difficult. It's a good song to work on your ear training.

Bones

6. rickbass

In olden days, we used to actually sit down and develop our ear by learning the notes on our own.

What happened to generating knowledge instead of researching it?

No dis, clayton, but the lines aren't complicated, unless you haven't been playing for a while.

7. eclayton

eclayton

Jan 14, 2001
    i play maybe an hour a week.
    between work and night school not much time.

8. rickbass

Man, I can see why now. Well, school will enable you to afford better gear and instruction, so, more power to you!

9. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    clayton,

Since your schedule is so full, use your bass playing time wisely. If as you say, you play an hour week, devote some of that time to learning a song by ear. It will be slow going at first, and probably somewhat frustrating. However, you will find that the more you do it, the better you get at it.

I think in the long run, you will become a better bassist by ear training than strictly tab reading.

Best of luck in your studies and bass playing,

Bones