Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head Falling off Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassRocker8713, Jun 7, 2005.

1. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Ok, so I've got a little bit of a problem. I use an Ampeg SVT-350 (which I'm looking to upgrade, but that's beside the point) w/ an Ampeg SVT410HLF, and that's fine because of the "footholes" in the top of the cab that the head sits in, but when I was running it through a Fender Bassman cab, the head would nearly shake its way off of the cab before I would have to run over and catch it. Right now I'm looking for an 8ohm cab, but I don't really want to buy another Ampeg, so it's not going to have the "footholes" on the top of the cab. That's where the problem is....I'm worried that sometime I won't make it to the head before it falls off. What can I do to keep it from falling? I don't really have any room to put it on the floor, and that also makes adjusting the settings quite difficult in the middle of a song during a gig. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Some double sided sticky pads and some sort of foam or other such thing to help eliminate the vibrations perhaps?

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Those 'Bad Vibrations' are not only threatening to dump your head, they're also robbing you of power. The energy that is being used to vibrate the cabinet walls isn't being used to create sound. Open the box up and reinforce it with panel to panel bracing to make the cabinet walls inert. Not only will you save your amp, it will sound better as well. You can put a glass of water on a really well built cabinet and it won't move an inch.

4. Not only that, but buy some little cups to have your amp's feet rest into.

5. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Oh ok, that makes sense then....the Bassman I was using was in really bad shape. So if I were to get, say, an Aguilar or Eden 1x15, I shouldn't have to worry about the head falling off?

6. Leeum

Leeum

Aug 21, 2004
    England, UK
    Your head really should have some thick rubber feet attached, if it doesn't have any I suggest buying some.

7. No necessarily. It's a mixute of the cab resonances, the floor the cab is on transmitting (or not) those vibrations effectively, blah blah.

8. BassRocker8713

BassRocker8713

Jul 15, 2003
    Well the cab'll mainly be used on a cement basement floor w/ tiling...how would that affect those "bad vibes"?

9. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    maybe some velcro. If the cab you're gonna get is going to be carpeted, you can try sticking velcro on the bottom of your head

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This is my suggestion. Get some kind of box that is similar in dimension to your amp. Used bungee cords and slip them thru the recessed handles on the cab and attach securely to the box. With the amp inside the box it will never fall off. The box I use is a black plastic one I got from a plant nursery. It has lots of holes for breathability and is only 6cm deep. Cut out part of the front to access your amp settings. You can run the various cords thru the holes in the back.

It may not look the greatest, but if you keep the colour scheme all black it isnt too bad.

Of course, you can use variations on this idea. Maybe find a better box, cooler looking etc

11. I would recommend a piece of 2" thick foam rubber. Cut it so that it's the same size as the top of your speaker cabinet. Sit it on top of the cabinet and set the head on top of the foam. It will isolate the amp from the vibration and it'll roll up and fit inside a pocket of your gig bag or cord case. I know it sounds wierd but it works fine, I did it for years with my old SVT3-PRO and SVT410HE. Isolating the head from vibration is a good idea anyway; years of vibration can damage all kinds of components. It'll cost you all of about 2 bucks.

12. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    If it were me, I would put the head on a table or something like that, but I know how cool it looks ontop the cabinets and its easier to adjust settings I know I know, so maybe you could try to either cut leet feet holders into the cab or have someone else to it. this is me assuming that the idea might actually work...but it probably wont.

13. Trade your SVT-350 for a 60 watt head. That'll take care of the problem :D

14. mas

mas

Oct 12, 2003
    i know a guy that just puts a strip of duct tape over the top of his rack sitting on his cab for each show.

15. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i'd say do what lonote said to do

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Place an Auralex Gramma pad between your cab and head. Vibrations not only occasionally move the head off the cab, but can also shake stuff apart over time. The gramma pad does an excellent job at preventing that.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    be aware that not all "foam" will completely isolate your head. lots of different kinds wont do much at all. i just put my amp sideways on the floor next to the cab so it doesnt take up lots of room.

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    You have to be getting a ton of vibrations to move that head. I had the 'honor' of using one after my Coliseum 300 blew and they are not that light I don't think, just cumbersome to move because it's such a large box.

I never got enough volume out of that head when I used it unless I made the clipping light stay on constantly (I was using the guys cab at that point and that's what he had to do as well)

19. Some hi-fi setups use those, to decouple components from floor vibrations. This is probably the reverse, to isolate the cab vibrations from coupling to the floor. Same idea as the auralex thing. Only solid cones might be more stable than the foamy auralex thing, kind of nerve wracking seeing your amp rocking back and forth. I've tried the same thing with sorbothane half-spheres, works well on overly "Boomy" environments, wood stages and concrete floors.

Randy

20. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you're going to use cones under the cabinet (or head), 3 cones arranged in a large triangle will be more stable than 4 cones (which can still cause rocking on an uneven surface).