1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head for an Ampeg SVT 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edb, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    I picked up an Ampeg 610 today and I'm wondering what heads other players use to push it or what is recommended.
    The cab is 600w @ 4ohms
    I currently have a Peavey Firebass head, which is 475w @ 4ohms. Should I use the Peavey, or look for something that delivers more wattage?

2. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    IF you like your Peavy -use it (pretty simple). IF you need more power there are scads of amps in the 500-600 rms range. Perform your own due diligence...as you've not stated really what kind of sound, performance, or price range you have in mind.

3. the extra 125 watts won't really make a difference. If you don't like the 610 get rid of it, a lot of people don't like it. It's probably not the head if it sounded good before.

4. I think you need a new cab. The 610s aren't "more portable" 810s. They're completely different beasts. My firebass sounds EPIC through 12's. I have a 212 cab and a 412 cab and they both are just amazing with the firebass.

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    A new cab? Obviously Edb just picked up the 610 and you are telling him get a new one? Would you like it if someone told you the same thing about your cabs?

Use your Peavey head for now and see if the tone works for you. If you want more growl/overdrive, either add a pedal or get a tube head. It's a decent cab will be plenty loud for most stages.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    +1 on the 610 opinion, I had one and got rid of it. I prefer the 410hlf and of course the 810E.

7. I liked the 610hlf when I had mine :) The last head I used with it was the Orange Bass Terror. If by magic I could have gotten any head to use with it, it would have been the Ampeg CL.

8. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 on keeping the Peavey. I have a 610HLF that I'm using with an SVT3-Pro. Neither the cabinet or the head get much love on TB but I like it. The head has plenty of EQ capabilities that allows me to cover what tones I need and enough headroom to easily get the job in my situations. I've owned a US SVT CL and 810 cabinet and still have a 410HLF that I use with the SVT3-Pro. I've found that the 610HLF has a little more midrange punch than the 410HLF but still provides good low-end fundamentals. It is closer to the 410 than the 810 being a ported cabinet.

The Peavey should power the 610 just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

9. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Not trying to be rude guys, but when did the guy ask about opinions on his cab? He's just asking about what's a good mate to it, not what your opinion of the cab is.... Sorry, that just really bugged me to see people telling him to get rid of it.

Edb, your Firebass can definitely handle that head, underpowering is well regarded as a myth, honestly. If you don't like the tone and don't wanna hassle with getting a new head, try a Sansamp Bass Driver in front of it or a Sansamp VT Bass if you want that classic SVT sound. Behringer makes a cheap, but less durable, clone of the bass driver for $30 online and eBay. You'll have a great tone with that combo. :)

10. I think if you search the 610 cab, you'll find that there is not a lot of love for it around these parts. A lot of people buy it expecting it to sound the same as an 810, which it doesn't and won't.

If I just bought a new cab and someone told me to get a new one, I would take it with a grain of salt and vet the information for truth. Also, he was asking for opinions on tone in relation to his cab. I'm just some guy on the internet, anyways. If you like my opinion, fine. If you don't, that's fine too.

Let me ask you what is better in the long term: trying to find a head to get a tone out of a cab, and having to search endlessly or figure out quickly that the cab could be the issue?

11. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    Wow, I wasn't concerned with tone in my post at all... :eyebrow:

Perhaps if I put it differently, folks will not read too much into it. Basically, what I wanted to know is how to maximize the output of the cabinet. My head is 475w, the cab can handle 600w - i was wondering if the 125w difference would be a big deal or not. I think a few guys answered this for me already - Thanks! Please let me know if anyone has a different take on it.

I will not be getting rid of the cab, but thanks for your opinion???

12. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I would either rock a GK head or an SVT-CL through it, but that's just my preference. If you're happy with the tone of your Peavey, stick with it.

13. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I agree. GK is great with Ampeg cabs, and so is Ampeg. ;-)

The Regulator likes this.
  14. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Good advice.

I have an Ampeg 6 X 10. I've used an SVT-CL, an MTI era SVT, and a GK 800RB, all with good results.

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    So you are going to assume that Edb bought the 610hlf for the same reason everyone else did? You do know what happens when we assume? It's obvious he likes the sound of his cab and just wants to figure out if the extra 125watts is going to make a difference - in this case, it's a minor to non-existent difference. Where did you get tone from?

blendermassacre, waleross - why do you have to share your opinions on the 610 if you can't at least be helpful in answering Edb's question?

It's true that your bass rig is going to be judged upon the speaker cabs and it can make or break you. If Edb likes the 610, what's the point of telling him it's not a good choice? He already chose it! Move on!

16. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    My SVT-CL loves my 6x10!

17. One of the most skilled and amazing sounding bassists i know actually plays out of a Peavey Firebass and Ampeg SVT 6x10. I know for a fact that this combo can sound amazing.

Roll with whatcha' got!! There's no reason to worry about another head.

I have an old Acoustic 6x10 that i mainly use my GK400rb with.

18. TimK

TimK

May 27, 2007
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    I have the ampeg 610hlf and the thing rocks! It's loud, deep, clear, mid punchy and easy to move around. It is a little heavy (~105lbs i think), but that is still lighter than the 810.

Not sure why there is no love for it here. I've been gigging mine since 2004 and it's a workhorse. Never had any issues with it. Will probably keep it as long i even have a small chance of gigging. It's versitile enough for medium to large indoor shows/club gigs and can crank enough for outdoor shows too.

I use a SVT 4PRO head in mono bridged and it kills it everytime. It's a great match.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    To directly answer the op's question, NO, another 125 watts will not make a difference. And most bass cabs are rated for their thermal limits. A 600 watt cab will "burn out" the voice coil at 600 watts. They usually will handle less wattage before farting out. What you have now is a good match. Run the Peavey head through the 610 and have a rockin' good time.

20. theonlyty

theonlyty

Mar 8, 2013
    I LOVE my 610HLF! I get a huge discount on Ampeg products and I picked the 610 over the 810 for 2 main reasons; it's lighter, and it provides a wider frequency response than the 810. I gig multiple times a week and this cab has never failed me. Just because it says 600watts RMS doesn't mean you can only put 600 watts through it. The other rating (called RMS) is the absolute maximum the head can handle. If you find the halfway point between program and RMS, that's really the wattage where your head will perform best with you cab. I run a GK 1001rb through mine, which is a 700watt head. It's been a perfect combination for a very long time and I couldn't be happier. Sorry that this is a very late posting, but I just saw this thread in a google search. Hope your rig is killing it!