Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head for Avatar cab - inexpensive!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Nov 11, 2002.

1. My Ampeg Ba115 100 watt combo isnt cutting it for playing live so i want to upgrade to a half stack. I am 15 and without a job so i will probably have to sell the combo, save money, and wait till Christmas for some of it. I decided on an Avatar cab because people say they are good cabs and very inexpensive. Im thinking a 2X10. Specs are here
    Now i need to choose a head. Price is definitely an issue, but so is sound, construction, and portability. Used is fine with me and i dont want to spend more than $400 on it.

2. BTW - im not sure about ohms, it says i can buy the cab with 4, 8, or 16 ohms.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well you could do this a few ways:

get a cheap used head like a hartke 3500, swr wm300, or (my recommendation) an AMP BH-420.

or, if you managed to either find a yamaha or sansamp used and a cheap carvin or qsc poweramp you could have around 1kw for $400 bucks.

carvin dcm1000s go for about $300 used, although i'm not sure i'd like a used poweramp.

4. Chap

Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    That Avatar stuff is pretty cheap. Is it good stuff? They don't make heads?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    for twice the price, i couldn't be happier with my Avatar 112. LOUD, clear, low. i'm going to get another one ASAP, and the pair with my AMP-BH260 is going to rock so hard.

and the pair with my rack is going to rock UNBELIEVABLY hard!

6. Thanks Jason! I might also get the compact 15 for better lows.

7. about the ohms thing, can i get a 2X10 at for ohms, can i use it with an 8 ohm 15? Should i get the 2X10 with 8 ohms? Which is better? Does my head need to have more watts than the cabs/vice versa/doesnt matter?

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you CAN, but that just means that the full load will be 2.67 ohms, and you should make sure you have a head that goes down that far. plus, you'll be giving more power to your 2x10.

any head you get will probably put out max power at 4 ohms. so if you're planning on one cab, get 4 ohm. if 2, get them both in 8 ohm so that when you run both of them it's a total 4 (edit cos i'm dumb) ohm load.

as for the power, yes it's a good rule of thumb to ideally have twice as much power as your speaker can handle. if your speaker are really inefficent, you will be tempted to crank the amp, causing distortion, and killing your speaker cabinet. i find the avatars to be pretty efficient cabs though, so if you get close to their power rating you should be ok.

9. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Just a friendly correction; two 8ohm cabs make a 4ohm load:)

10. well you can get the 2X10 in 4, 8, or 16 ohms so i'll just get it in 8.

11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    if you are going the 2x10 route, get it in 8 ohms so you can add a 15 to it later. you'll have better low end if get the 4x10, but the 210 and 115 is also a killer setup... consider everything because the 210 on its own may be lacking for certain situations (i'm not sure what yours is)

i have the 410 and absolutely love it! i'll second getting a hartke 3500 or amp 420 used...

12. Finding anything new for $400 is gonna be tough. I can think of a SansAmp Bass Di $169 and a QSC RMX 850 $299 but that is gonna be around $450.00
    The QSC is 850 watts into 4 ohms bridged which should be plenty of power for what you are wanting to do.
    http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/rmx/rmx.htm

13. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    I would match an 8-ohm compact 15 with a used GK400RB, which you might be able to find used for about $200-$300. Then later you can add the 8-ohm 210.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

doh! that's what i meant :(

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    How would I go about finding an AMP BH---? I remember they were pretty nice amps but with the company gone they are hard to track down.
    I did a 'net search and found a year-old listing in England. The price was nice but with no time machine and overseas shipping I think that one is not for me.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
  17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Bang-for-buck head: used Peavey Firebass. Drawback-it's heavy. Pluses: cheap. stone reliable. sounds good.

Kim