Head for Bag End

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Aug 30, 2005.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Hey guys,

I have a mesa scout that is easy to lug around and sounds good. I play an NS EUB and Lakland Jo. Jazz, Swing, Funk, R&B, Rock all in the same night.

I recently aquired a bag end:

I am planning on using the mesa head to power them this weekend but what do you think is optimal?

I'm not sure I can swing a Walter Woods, but I'm considering everything.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thunderfubk tfb 550
    Kustom groove bass 1200
    Mesa Bass 400+
    Aguliar 500c
    GK 1001-rbi

Those are the amps at the top of my list. They arn't in any particular order, read reviews, and play em if you can.

3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Actually arn't the BE 118'S 4 OHM?

If they are then you need a head rated at 2ohms to be able to plug both the 18 and 15'' in.

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    No the Bag End S18D is an 8 ohm cabinet. My short list is:
    Walter Woods
    Epifani UL502
    Eden WT405
    AI Focus
    Thunderfunk 550
    The list would longer if I had a personal roady but I'm playing 2 to 3 gigs a week and at least 1 rehearsal a week. Every ounce counts.

I've played most but not through this set of cabs. Light portability is important. I also feel I have some great instruments and get the sound I need from them. The less EQ knobs the better, hence Epifani/Eden 405. I like the idea of the Epifani as I can run both the EUB and Lakland Jo through the seperate channels, or have 2 seperate settings to A/B when I only play electric.

The Walter Woods sounded killer but it's pricy and way to long of a wait. The Walkabout is sufficient but I'm looking for perfection, I feel I have it with my instruments and the cabs.

I believe with a good set of hands and a decent bass all of this eq is not necessary and to much to worry about during a 3 hour gig. I've also gone away from the thought that you need 10's to be punchy, you wouldn't believe the BE 18.
  5. That's the small cabinet 18, from the BE Website:

System Type:
    Full-range, rear vented
    3.0 cubic ft.
    8 Ohms

Frequency Response:
    50 Hz to 2 kHz ± 6 dB
    (4 pi Steradians)
    101 dB SPL (1W @ 1m)
    Power Handling:
    300 W continuous sine wave
    600 W instantaneous peak

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it all depends upon what volume you need. BE cabs tend to be conservatively rated, and they like to be pushed (within reason)

I would power that pair with anywhere from 200 watts up to 1000 or even a bit more (just for headroom)

as far as brands - just lug em around and see what you like the sound of thru those cabs. I've used swr, eden, alembic, and demeter with mine and it was all good. I also tried aggie, AMP, epifani, Genz-Benz, Trace, and probably a lot of others. No complaints.
  7. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Needed a bigger head for a gig this weekend, I borrowed a GK700RB, it was ok. I'm waiting on the delivery of an Epifani UL502. Hope it lives up to it's reviews.

8. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I now have:

Euphonic Audio IAMP350
    Epifani UL502

Both sound great, I am spending some time to get a great sound from both.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In my experience pretty much any amp will sound better with Bag Ends;)
  10. appler

appler Guest

If anyone has ever run Bag End cabinets (especially the S15 series) with Gallien-Krueger amps, I'd love to hear about it. I'm considering using an S15 and an S12 powered by a G-K head and I'd appreciate any words of advice or experience from people who have tried this. Thanks!
  11. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I was running a GK 700 which I temporarily bought new until the two above heads were delivered. I used an S15XD and S18D.

I thought they sounded real good if your looking to add a head to your existing cabs I'd check out the EA IAMP. If you already have the GK head and want to add new cabs I can't recomend the bag ends enough. Depending on the sound your looking for different speaker cominations, I have played through the D12 but not the S12 so I can't comment.