Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head for Epifani T-212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptune, Feb 4, 2001.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I recently acquired an Epifani T-212 cab (Faaat!!!). I was wondering what some of you fellow T-212 owners are using for a head, and if you like your setup. I'm thinking about getting the new Aguilar DB-750 hybrid or the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600. Don't know if I want to wait for those to hit the street or not (minimum 2 months). Thanks.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Agree, Fat! Aguilar is coming out with a hybrid head? first I"ve heard of it. I have the DB 680/DB-728 setup, and the T-212 rocks with em! Dont know much about the Mesa stuff, except they use cheap tubes. The Ashdown heads are pretty happenin', though they weigh almost as much as a tube amp.

3. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks for the response! The DB-750 should be out early this spring. $1995 list, 750 watts into 4 ohms, about 1000 into 2 ohms (supposedly without breaking a sweat). DB 659 peamp/features built in to it. Sounds like you've already got the ultimate set-up though. I just don't want to go ALL TUBES again. Had enough maintenance with my old SVT.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you don't want to wait for the Aguilar to hit the street you try getting an Aguilar DB659 with a separate power amp such as a QSC RMX series amp. Or if you want to spend more money you could go with the DB680 preamp.

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN

coyoteboy,

Once and for all, what is the price for the DB680 preamp? It's not listed on Aguilar's or anybody else's website. Someone said $1800 list.

Thanks,

Bob

6. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    $1795 list according to the Guitar and Bass Player's Buying Guide.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    A good retail discount should get you $1200-$1300 for a new DB680. Keep your eyes open for a used one, they don't turn up very often, but thats how I got mine, for $750. The DB728 only cost me $1000 used, but I'm just a lucky dork...