1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head for SVT 410 HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deartoni70, Sep 5, 2008.

1. deartoni70

deartoni70

Sep 5, 2008
    Van Nuys
    My friend recommended a GK head with an Ampeg Cab. I am reading all of the review here and I am getting confused. Any suggestions. I already own the cabinet.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you like the GK, what's the problem? Reviews are peoples opinions, and won't tell you anything, really, that your ears couldn't tell you better.

3. 800rb all the way

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I say 700 RB II :)

5. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    Anything with "Mesa" on it!!!

mesa heads!

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Mesa needs to changed their logo.

M E $ A

7. Dwiggs

Dwiggs

Mar 1, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    V4-B or V4BH would be great options if you can get your hands on one (so long as you don't mind hauling around an extra 50lbs or so).

Nothing wrong with GK, though, IMO.

8. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Especially the bass 400+. Good combination with that cab.

9. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW

that would be..how do you say, balllicious?

10. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I find the HLF very ballsy, but a bit undefined. Becomes muddy easyer than some other cabs. Still a great cab though. I like the 800rb proposal. I like it better than the 700 or 1001. They sound thinner than the 800rb to my ears. All this of course is IMO. Again, depends on the tone you want. The proposal I gave you is what I would do with a 410HLF.

Good luck

11. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I suggest you:
    Decide what you need to accomplish.
    Define your budget.
    Then look for an amp.

I do agree maybe GK would be a good match though if you want to cut at all with that cab.

12. I really have no idea why you're asking, or really, even, what you're asking. But for what it's worth, I dig my Traynor YBA-200-2 through my 410HLF.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Find your self a used Thunderfunk 550. That head would work well with that Cab.

Also I used an Ampeg SVT3PRO witth my HLF Cab.

I will admit the HLF Cab is a little Wooly sounding but that is a very vintagey smooth sound. They do tighten up with a good tight power section.

14. Reckless

Reckless

Jun 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Bump
    Interested to see the recommendations.
    Personally I use mine with an Ampeg B2R. It's worked out for me, but I'd like to get a different head. Although I don't plan on getting rid of the B2R.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any head will do. Get what YOU like, not what someone else tells you to get.

16. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Have tried both these, but not together. I admit this should be quite a good pairing.

17. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    +1. That is exactly what I have! (also a VR)

18. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I've A/Bed my 2 410hlf cabs: 1 Viet Nam (now sold)and 1 US, against a Dr Bass and a Berg. I sent the same power to all the cabs. The Ampegs are noticably quieter, much quieter. So, make sure you have excess power so you can get the volume you need. My SVT-3 was not sufficient, an SVT 4 powering both 410hlfs didn't do it for me either. I recommend having at least 1000 watts at hand. Just my experience and opinion. :)

Great cabs for DEEEEEP bass!!!

19. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    +1

20. deartoni70

deartoni70

Sep 5, 2008
    Van Nuys
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I do like the GK's I have played through. The Ampeg heads for me can get a little lost. I now will go to the GC and play through some of your suggestions and see what else might work for me.

Thanks again...