Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head for under 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spyde223, May 15, 2001.

1. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I was looking to upgrade my rig to head and cab setup. I was looking at the Ampeg B2R head but couldn't decide. I still have a while till I get enough money but it never hurts shopping. I was looking for a good thick warm tone, something you could cut with a knife, and make sure it isn't fluffy, that sucks. Do ya'll have any suggestions. I'm cheap so less is better but I don't mind spending it if I feel it is worth it.

2. I had the B2R and found it to be a bit under powered and thin. It might have been a problem with that one amp.
    Sounds like you want a tube amp. New the few that are on the market are very pricey and super haevy, but they can be thick. Checkout Trace Elliot , Mesa Boogie and ofcoarse Ampeg.
    To save money, you might go with a used GK-400 and Sansamp Tech 21 preamp/DI run into a Bag-end 15.
    Good Luck

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    you can get an swr bass 350 or a new eden timetraveller 300 for just under 700 (www.riksmusic.com).

carvin r1000

GK 700rb or 800rb

try out as many as you can back to back with your own bass and follow your ears.