1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

head heavy

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Deanbassist445, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Hey everyone

I don't know if this is the right board for this post but i will try my luck and hoppe it is.

When i play my bass while standing the head likes to drop to the ground. so i am asking for any advice to keep the head stock from falling other than trying to hold it up while i play

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Get a thicker strap, and possibly a leather one that sticks.

This phenomenon is called neck dive, and it's very prevalent among basses. After adding a thicker strap, you can also do things like replace the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites (they weigh less and will help a small amount) and replace the bridge with a high mass bridge. Additionally (and I've done this numerous times) glue fishing weights (very cheap at Wal Mart) into the control cavity of the bass for some added weight.

3. depending on the bass you have.....old fenders had a 3 point strap and a button behind the string tree.....i've seen some t birds with the upper bout extended with some steel stock....randy joe hobbs i think........extend the front /move the rear button(s) up on the body