Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

head + homebuilt cab vs. inexpensive combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by new2bg, Dec 19, 2005.

1. new2bg

new2bg

Dec 18, 2005
    Southwestern OH
    I'm trying to decide whether to buy an inexpensive combo (Ibanez 65w or similar Peavy, or to buy a similarly priced head, such as the Ashdown Electric 180 to connect through a homebuilt cab. I'm a newbie and just got my first bass, but don't have an amp yet.

Here's the dope on the cab: It's 3/4" plywood, glued, screwed, and braced, literally built like a tank and darned near as heavy as one! Inside dimensions are: 28"W x 18"H x 9.5"D, for a total of 2.77 cu. ft. volume. Inside are two Pyle Driver 12" speakers of the type that are usually found in automotive applications. They're rated 95W each, and have 8 ohm voice coils. With the two of them paralleled, they present a 4 ohm load to the amp.

Either the head or the combo will set me back about $200-$250, but I'm undecided as to which direction to go. Any opinions?

TIA

John in SW OH

2. A combo would probably sound better, homemade cabs and automotive speakers dont tend to work too well as bass speakers

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    My opinion is to go with the Ibanez combo. It's a very good one. Also, if you are near a dealer take a look at the Yorkville sound combos. The XM210C puts out a lot of sound at a good price and will stand up to abuse. I used one for a year and it could handle small to medium club gigs with a too loud drummer and guitar player.

Those Pyle driveers are good for auto sound but are not good for electric bass. You could use them with a small head for low volume practice at home.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Quite right. DIY is a good option if you go about it the right way, but autosound drivers and electric bass are an oil and water situation.

5. new2bg

new2bg

Dec 18, 2005
    Southwestern OH
    Thanks, guys. I had a feeling this would be your collective opinion, so I appreciate your verifying it. (Now, what am I gonna do with this nice box and crappy automotive speakers :meh: ?)

John in SW OH

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't build my own basses, amps, cabs or effects. I don't change my oil or rotate my tires. Why? I don't have the expertise, experience, tools or space.

7. new2bg

new2bg

Dec 18, 2005
    Southwestern OH
    Well, I have the expertise, experience, tools, and space to change my oil and rotate my tires, and the speaker cabinet mentioned in my original post is part of a built-from-scratch tube guitar amp that I built in 1967. It was built from a Fender Twin Reverb schematic that I found in a repair manual. (I still have that head, but the Gibbs reverb unit went out many years ago, so it's been sitting idle since then.

I thought maybe the cabinet could be used for my new bass, but if the speakers have to be replace, it would probably be better to just go out and buy a new combo. Thanks for posting your reply.

John in SW OH

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I had exactly the same situation.

I took the cab and rebuilt it with the help of your
    friendly TB AMP forum types.

Handy dandy link to the thread is in my sig. My crystal
    ball shows WinISD and 2 new bass drivers in your future. ;)

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The autosound driver issue aside, the box you had was far too small to be an effective bass cab, half the volume at best of what two twelves require for a good result. What's fine for guitar isn't for bass. It also seems a safe bet that you didn't port and tune the cabinet and that the Theile/Small parameters of the drivers were not considered. Suffice it to say that speaker building is not just an art, it's also a science.